Android 4.4.2 with sata

Discussion in 'Android' started by idorel77, Mar 4, 2015.

1. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Hello,

Because , Primiano don't have time for the moment to add suport for sata, i decided to try myself.
    Thanks to Primiano for Links and help.

Here is the img : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_pds ... authuser=0

Like Primiano i moved only data partition to HDD.

Instruction from Primiano's older post.

A 2 Gb SD card will suffice (/data is on the HDD). You should unzip and flash the image on the SD card as usual:
    dd if=sdcard.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M conv=fsync

Essentially this image keeps all the partitions but /data on the sdcard, and /data on the HDD.
    I strongly suggest using a SSD (I'm currently using an Intel 320 series). Putting /data on a SSD makes the overall Android system blazingly fast.

Note: this image *requires* both a SD card and a SATA HDD/SSD. It will not boot properly without both.

I will upload the source code too if somebody need this.

If somebody know how to mount automatically the second partition sda2(media) from HDD , let me know :), I try it but without success.

mdcostas likes this.
  2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Awesome!!! I'll surely give it a try ;)

3. idorel77

idorel77 Member

I mounted the second partition as extsd with this line , in fstab.freescale :
    /dev/block/sda2 /mnt/media_rw/extsd ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,nodiratime,noatime wait

But the problem is at i can't use it. I can't read files from extsd.
    I have mp3 files on it , i see the files with app files manager , but i can't open it.
    If i copy that files in other place , like media , download... it's working.

What is wrong?
    i miss something?

4. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Any luck with this distro?

5. idorel77

idorel77 Member

What do you mean?
    If working ? yes. Working with sata. Sata drive is mounted as Data partitions.

6. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Well, I flashed the distro and reformatted the HD. When installing gapps I ADB pushed the /system folder to /system, but it seems the /system folder dos not move to the HD but instead the sd card, so the entire OS is extremely slow. I noticed that the folder /sdcard is the folder which is mounted on the HD, all other files seem to be local.

7. idorel77

idorel77 Member

For me is faster with HD. I use an SSD .My problems is the bugs from this distro.
    You can take the source code and play with fstab file. You can mount the others partitions on HD. But not boot partition.

8. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Have you gotten gapps installed correctly on this distro?

9. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Primiano's distro of Jellybean was very fast with the HDD. This 4.4.2 distro is extremely slow. and it seems to be due to the large files being placed on the sdcard in the /system folder when installing gapps.

10. idorel77

idorel77 Member

11. fabio978

fabio978 Member

Thank you Idorel, i really appreciate your work :)
    I don't know about the previous SATA version from Primiano but performance are not bad in my opinion.
    Now i just need to resize /system partition because i cannot even install gapps on it. Is there a limit or i can use how many space (on the SD card) i want/need?

12. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Hi Fabio,
    yes , you need to resize, for install gapps , then apps will be installed on data partition(ssd/hdd) . Just follow the above guide for resize.

13. fabio978

fabio978 Member

Yes i could resize /system partition and gapps were successfully installed! For testing i plugged in an old 80Gb SATA HDD but i think an SSD would be much better.
    It will be difficult to replace it? Do you think it would be better to replace it before configuring everything?

14. idorel77

idorel77 Member

You can replace when you want , but this will lose your data. Or you can try to clone the drive HDD -> SSD.