Booting Udoo?

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by bugmenot, Oct 16, 2013.

1. mkopack

mkopack Member

Wait, how the heck did you get yours already if you weren't a Kickstarter????

2. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

Re: Booting Udoo? No HDMI continued..

Following up from my previous post, I purchased a high speed 10.2Gbps HDMI cable as the other 3 I tried were older.

I am getting the same boot up error:

imx6-qsdl login: [ 25.797201] ERROR: HDMI is not ready!
    [ 25.801250] asoc: can't open platform imx-hdmi-soc-audio.0
    [ 25.808102] ERROR: HDMI is not ready!

Courtney

...and again I tried this new cable with 2 different HDMI monitors (one newer, one older) both of which are complaining there is no signal coming from the UDOO!

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

Which OS are you trying? People have been reporting issues with the Android image. Try the Ubuntu one and see if that works...

4. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

mkopack,

not sure who you were asking about OS.. but if it was me... I have been getting my HDMI error with Linux.

Just for fun I also tried Android but that is getting some sort of card not responding to voltage error during serial debugging.

Courtney

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

The UDOO team is digging on this issue, please be patient!

For those of you that didn't try yet, follow the troubleshooting guide and post what you get from serial when you're reporting your problems. This is helpful in order to get a general idea about why your UDOO is not booting or why you're not getting video out.
    Thanks.

6. bwautosport

bwautosport New Member

***Edit***

Seems very much to be a power issue. Created Android, Yocto, Ubuntu SDcards, and all of which display the same power cycling issue. Occasionally it will hang on long enough to fire the bootcmd, but then resets during kernel load. Seems like I need to RMA. Unless the board is rather picky about exactly what kind of power you're giving it....

*** Edit***

Have there been any reports of power stability issues? I've tried a number of power supplies from 5V up to 12V @ 2A, and U-boot constantly cycles during the countdown; reporting the following, sometimes it makes it to the U-boot prompt and I can begin to enter a command, but then resets. Currently, I have nothing more than USB-serial connected to host, and power.

***snip***
    Code:
    In:    serial
    Out:   serial
    Err:   serial
    Net:   got MAC address from IIM: 00:c0:08:88:10:53
    FEC0 [PRIME]
    Hit any key to stop autoboot:  2 

U-Boot 2009.08-secoimx6dq_m975_1GB_LV_2013061540 (Jun 21 2013 - 15:38:38)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX 6 family 0.0V at 792 MHz
    Temperature:   30 C, calibration data 0x56f4e369
    mx6q pll1: 792MHz
    mx6q pll2: 528MHz
    mx6q pll3: 480MHz
    mx6q pll8: 50MHz
    ipg clock     : 66000000Hz
    ipg per clock : 66000000Hz
    uart clock    : 80000000Hz
    cspi clock    : 60000000Hz
    ahb clock     : 132000000Hz
    axi clock     : 264000000Hz
    emi_slow clock: 29333333Hz
    ddr clock     : 528000000Hz
    usdhc1 clock  : 200000000Hz
    usdhc2 clock  : 200000000Hz
    usdhc3 clock  : 200000000Hz
    usdhc4 clock  : 200000000Hz
    nfc clock     : 24000000Hz
    Board: MX6Q-SECO_Q7:[ POR ]
    Boot Device: NOR
    I2C:   ready
    DRAM:   1 GB
    MMC:   FSL_USDHC: 0,FSL_ESDHC: 1,FSL_USDHC: 2,FSL_USDHC: 3
    In:    serial
    Out:   serial
    Err:   serial
    Net:   got MAC address from IIM: 00:c0:08:88:10:53
    FEC0 [PRIME]
    Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3 

7. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Mine won't boot under Android. I mistakenly stated that I didn't obtain mine through the KS campaign but in fact I did (I honestly forgot) but I backed the starter kit which included the udoo, wifi, power supply and 2 sd cards with Linux and android images. Everything works as advertised except android and I don't have the hardware or frankly the technical expertise to burn a new image on an sd card (since if everything else works fine, it must be related to the android image. It boots great under Linux and immediately obtained an IP address and I was happily surfing. The problem is that I backed this specifically for an android application so having Linux (which I have, at best, a rudimentary knowledge of) really doesn't help me at all. I seem to be caught in a customer support loop since I originally posted that I bought it as opposed to receiving it as my backer reward from the KS campaign. Can anyone help? Right now I've got a nice paperweight. Thanks.

8. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Hi all,
    is it possible to boot from an usb pendrive?
    Thanks

9. mkopack

mkopack Member

Dave, it's really not that hard... the only hardware you'll need is either a multi-format memory card->USB interface (usually can pick those up for < $15) or if your other computers already have an SD card interface, then a micro->SD adaptor (I honestly would just buy a new microSD card WITH the adaptor already so you have a spare card as well.) Again, about $10-20 depending upon size you buy.

The instructions for burning the image are all in the "Getting Started" link here on the site and it's REALLY straightforward.

The whole point of this board is to experiment, tinker and learn, so don't be afraid to try thing and put a little effort in to getting your hands dirty. Trust me, you'll probably eventually need to reimage the cards you received (new OS image release, you screw something up, the image gets corrupted, etc.) Might as well learn how to do it now when you don't have a ton of data on the card to lose...

10. ymilord

ymilord New Member

I am also having issues getting either the Dual or the Quad to do anything on power up. I've tried both the Ubuntu & Android images. I've tried 5 HDMI cables and 3 AC adapters. All 12V 2A. And 3 MicroSD cards. All Sandisk. The green LED on the board lights up and nothing happens. When I connect my desktop or notebook do the CLI port and fire up a console app. Nothing appears. So at this point I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

11. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

It seems that if I was shipped a corrupted SD card that udoo should replace it instead of everyone pointing me to buy hardware and burn my own image but since that's the way it is, the question becomes, Will this work
    http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-MicroSD-Re ... ard+reader

12. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yup! That'll do it...

13. arob157

arob157 New Member

Alright. New problem I believe. Here is the serial readout ( I terminated boot to simplify the output ). I can post a full or partial if someone else wants to take a shot at the issue. The warning displayed is beyond me.

It runs the boot cycle after this with no HDMI issues/conflicts. I am just experimenting with different OS right now. Planning to run the Ubuntu dist.

14. psj

psj New Member

So far I've been unsuccessful (i.e. green LED but no display output) booting up with various permutations of the following:

• Power supply labeled 12 V - 2A (verified stable 12V output with DMM).
    • Two Display options: 46" 1080p TV HDMI input & 20" Dell LCD Display DVI input using HDMI to DVI cable
    • Quad UDOO (The kickstarter level I registered was for quad but does anyone know how to distinguish the different varieties by visual inspection prior to boot?)
    • One 8GB microSD card that I've imaged with Quad Ubuntu and Quad Android (also tried the dual versions of both in case I was inadvertently shipped a dual)

I don't have a micro USB cable on hand this evening to view the serial debug output but I'll try that tomorrow.

I've read all the relevant forum posts as well as the "Why my UDOO won’t boot?" troubleshooting page.

Any other suggestions?
    My next steps will be:
    • Get a microUSB cable to view debug boot output.
    • Buy a different HDMI cable
    • Buy a new SD card

15. pko

pko New Member

Only the Quad Udoo has SATA interface. So check for the SATA data socket. If there is one on the board, then you have a quad.

16. psj

psj New Member

Thanks pko! I do have a SATA connector so now I know I'm using the correct image for quads.

17. Roberto

Roberto New Member

Also UDOO seems to work just with some TVs/Monitors yet, I can't get it to work with my 50 panasonic plasma, but it will work with my older 26 phillips lcd. You really need the serial connection to see if it is booting or not!

18. bwautosport

bwautosport New Member

Turns out my issues were due to the U-boot being written in the Ubuntu/Yocto images. The chip was being identified as a SECO IMX6 Q7 part, not the i.MX6Q-UDOO. Downloading and dd'ing the u-boot-q.bin binary to the SD card resulted in a successfully booting board - no more cycling. FYI to those that might encounter that.

19. mkopack

mkopack Member

Just for the bewbies sakes, can you post the steps you used to get that uboot into the card without overwriting the whole card? Most of the directions out that are for overwriting the whole card, not a partition.

Only saying this because somebody will end up asking or accidentally overwriting the whole card and end up with no file system partition.

20. josolanes

josolanes New Member

^ I agree that can be helpful

plus I imagine you mean the newbies ;). Though it's the appropriate month :)