Whats in the box?

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by cjwilson1, Oct 20, 2013.

1. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

I opened my new UDOO quad yesterday. There is no paperwork of any kind. Just an UDOO and some mysterious USB dongle that is unmarked. What is this thing?

The frustration continues when I find new orders get a power adapter and kickstarter people didn't. It looks like some people got a preloaded SD card (I didn't). And I continue to get HDMI errors after Linux boots that prevents me from using the device (4 cables and two monitors later, still no luck).

I am sad :(

Courtney

2. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

One mystery solved. Lightly inscribed on the USB dongles metal tab it says Bluetooth 4.0!

One issue down. One more different HDMI monitor (my tv) tried and still no picture though :(

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

I'm seriously thinking it's because you're using only a 1A PSU... Having enough power to boot doesn't mean there's enough power to drive the display properly...

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

5. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

The kickstarter levels did list this info up front. A power supply would have been nice since they are giving them away now, but the basic pledges didn't include them. Though I still have no response on my Bluetooth dongle that all kickstarters were to get.

6. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

I did manage to locate a 12VDC, 2A adapter and still HDMI is not working ;(

7. Patola

Patola New Member

@cjwilson1 try to use another. The quality of common adapters is surprisingly quite variable. It might also be due to your HDMI cable.

8. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

there is a previous thread that might be related
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

It resulted in an FAQ from the UDOO team
    http://www.udoo.org/faq-items/why-my-udoo-wont-boot/

The issue may be more that the device isnt booting properly more than an HDMI issue, so check out that thread and that FAQ
    Also make sure you are using the most up to date v1.2 Linaro/Ubuntu image.

Regarding frustrations
    Understand the UDOO is a BRAND new product, kickstarter backers are supporting this emerging technology and also participating with the UDOO team and community to get to a polished product. i do not believe anyone should expect this to be a 100% retail ready fully polished product. That said there has already been one major revision to the main UDOO Linux image, and i know there are TONS more on the list and we should expect further updates in the near future.

Regarding free Power Supplies. Should be noted that the Kickstarter backers received a free USB BT4.0 dongle as a stretch goal, this is only a value of about $10-15 USD, which is the same as what the Power supply is. So financially its no different, but i can see the free power supplies are more productive for many that don't have one.

Preloaded SD cards only came to those that pledged at a specific higher level for the full starter kit.

As for paperwork, there is actually starter instructions printed on the box itself pointing you to udoo.org/getting-started which is important because the product is developing fast andy any "paper documentation" would already be outdated. And then points out to join the community to participate in things just like this.

Going forward, you said you were getting HDMI errors, if the previous info i this thread my my post do not get you to resolution, please provide the specific errors.

9. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

Draco, sorry i posted my results in another thread under "Booting UDOO" regarding the HDMI issue. In this thread I was more just wondering what that extra usb device was as it was just floating in the box, there was no mention of it, and it wasn't part of the original offering that I was aware of. The rest was just a rant that I still couldn't mine to boot :(

FYI (from the other thread)... I did mange to serial debug my UDOO and it was in fact an HDMI issue. Actually is was one of the same HDMI errors listed in the troubleshooting guide. Unfortunately the guide's only suggestion was check your HDMI plugs and cables. I ended up trying four cables, 3 monitors, 2 power supplies and three SD card images and none fixed the issue.

Fortunately, support says they are actively looking into the issue! I can't wait to get started :)

10. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

well here is hoping they quickly resolve the issue or replace the board..
    issues like this have to be resolved quickly and if it was me i would have a replacement sent to you to resolve the issue and get the other one back for internal debugging.. Hopefully you're up and running soon.