SATA Power on quad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mkopack, Oct 1, 2013.

1. mkopack

mkopack Member

Hey gang,

So I have a quad coming, but as I'm looking at the board, I see the SATA connector, but no place to get the power for the drive from the board.

Any ideas? Usually you have to do 2 connections (1 power, 1 data...)

Or am I wrong here?

2. htsauce

htsauce New Member

That does strike a point, they need there dedicated supply, more so a full size drive, could mount the udoo on the top of a smaller cpu power supply , and hop the green pin to the blk on the 20-24pin connector, then have sata power , or molex adapted, but thats going the long end, they do have power adapters for sata,, could get supplys with standard pc power cable ports, then get a 3 way cord,, still long hand, i wonder what type of battery supply would be needed to support a laptop sata or ssd drive to be mounted underneath the udoo,

3. Mozer

Mozer New Member

In any case you will need a seperate power supply for you're hdd, a SATA cable doesn't supply power. You could use the power supply and the adapter for external hdd's.
    I would recommend using a 2.5 inch hdd (laptop size) since it uses a lot less power and only needs 5 volts, or even a SSD for that matter which only uses like 1W :)

So yes, you will need two cables, 1 for data and 1 for the power

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

Well, then, I can see one of the first commercial 3rd party projects being some sort of power board that you could use to power the Udoo+ the SATA drive.

And yeah, I planned to use a smaller SSD (32/64GB) for this, I just didn't know how/where to get the power to drive it.

Worst case I'll drive it via USB... Just seems silly though to tie up one of the USB ports for SATA when there's a SATA data port on the board... Maybe that internal "special" USB port could be used... Be hell to wire though.

I also hope the Udoo guys put out a converter cable to go from that internal USB port to normal USB port.

5. maddmike71

maddmike71 New Member

If you use a 2.5" there are usb options for power

6. saidol

saidol New Member

Hi, you can get power for 2.5'' disk from J12, the white connector nearby SATA plug.
    The pin nearest SATA is for +5Volt (connect it to red wire), the other is the GND. You don't need 12 Volt on 2.5'' disk.
    Bye
    Giuseppe

7. htsauce

htsauce New Member

Thanks

8. Mozer

Mozer New Member

Good call Giuseppe :)

9. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Yes, Giuseppe is right, I'll also attach a picture for those of you who don't have a UDOO yet:

Attached Files:

10. firehopper

firehopper Member

awesome. do you have a part number of the matching connector? or what its called so we can order it?

11. pko

pko New Member

From the picture, it looks like a 2-pin JST socket. And it looks very similar to the arrangement Cubieboard use for their SATA data and power connectors. They also have an expansion board option to supply 12V power for a 3.5in SATA drive. I have ordered one of them and will see whether it will fit my Udoo Quad when it arrive........

Failed to find a more exact part number for this socket, this is the closest that I can find that looks somewhat similar
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8613

12. mangsab

mangsab New Member

I have SATA cable from Cubieboard. It have 2 wire power connector. But it not fit with that port. The size is match with DC-in port. Voltage depend on what power source you give to udoo.

13. mangsab

mangsab New Member

Have anyone tried with SSD drive? It's not working on my samsung SSD drive. But it work fine when using with normal 2.5" drive (WD black)

14. dezldog

dezldog New Member

I have my quad working with a Crucial 250GB SSD. I am powering it with an external USB hub and a USB to SATA power adapter. Good luck!

15. andcmp

andcmp New Member

16. dezldog

dezldog New Member

Does this connector work with the little connectors that come with many SATA Flash modules?

17. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

For example, would a typical PC power supply (say an Antec 350 watt Basiq), with a +12v rail min/max of 1A/10A be sufficient to drive:
    . the udoo,
    . a 2,5" SATA SSD wired up to J12, and
    , the onbaord Arduino Due hooked up to a few sensors

thanks,
    /venkat

18. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Udoo draws 3-5 watts. SSD draws about 2 (larger SSD's more obviously).
    Can't say for your sensors, but ignoring those unknowns then the standard Udoo power supply ought to cope comfortably

19. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

Maybe this adapter is compatible? It looks like it's the same connector.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 47764.html

EDIT: I just got my UDOO, it's NOT compatible. The +12V plug on the board (marked with "DC-in", J25) fits, but the +5V connector J12 does not.

20. shivaraj

shivaraj New Member

This is exactly what everybody would need.

22 PIN TO 2 PIN + 7 PIN FEMALE TO FEMALE SATA HARD DISK DRIVE ADAPTER CABLE - 20Cm