Giving up

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Steve Miller, Nov 9, 2015.

1. j_p

j_p New Member

Hi everyone

I had the same problem on the Mac. This worked for me:

1. I used Pi Filler to write the SD card.

The "Creating a bootable Micro SC card with Mac OS X" instructions on the Udoo website didn't work for me. No flashing lights on the Neo when plugged into USB, it wasn't booting.

Download the Pi Filler 1.3 script from here: http://ivanx.com/raspberrypi/

2. Once the SD card has written correctly and the Neo boots (flashing lights), going to 192. 168.7.2 in your browser still won't work.

Open the Terminal on your Mac and type:

ssh 192.168.7.2 -l udooer

Then enter password "udooer".

(If you have used s.s.h to access a device before on your Mac with the same address (for instance a Beaglebone Black) then you will have to delete the old host key. Follow these instructions: https://rcc.fsu.edu/docs/how-update-host-keys).

Once you have logged in to the Neo you should be able to log out and use VNC viewer to access the Neo desktop.

Hope this helps people, I had much the same problems with the Beaglebone Black on a Mac.

John

2. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi John,

Thanks fo the reply.

Are you using OSX 10.11.x? El Captain?
    With other versions with Mac OS it should work. But the problem reported here was with 10.11.1
    Thanks,
    -Jack

3. j_p

j_p New Member

Hi Jack
    No, I'm still on 10.10.5 so maybe not so much help I'm afraid.

If you have the flashing lights your Neo is booting so maybe your best bet is to find a Windows machine and install Putty on it to ssh in. I have a bootcamp partition on my Mac and I often find with these little Linux boards, if one OS won't play ball the other will (but it's usually OSX causing the problems).

Good luck!

J

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. Duncan Stewart

Duncan Stewart New Member

Thanks for the tip about VNC-Viewer, Andrea - as I currently only have one working mouse, accessing the board as another window from my laptop simplifies things greatly! (And by 'simplifies' I mean that I can poke around and see what I need to do to connect via WiFi, since my wired connection is apparently disconnected :( )

And let's be nice to relative hardware n00bs (like myself) - I like to support projects that look to be doing cool things, and if I can get through to actually running something, potentially even useful, I consider that a bonus. (And seeing as I have half a dozen arduinos lying around to no particular end at this point, I can wait on having all of the features firing on all cylinders.)