Neo M4 Arduino Memory Sizes

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by jrullan, Dec 5, 2015.

1. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Hello,

What are the effective sizes of Flash and RAM in the M4 Arduino?
    I've read other posts stating a 128kB maximum size but not sure if it refers to RAM or FLASH, and also the Arduino IDE lists 512KB of flash.

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

I already answered in this thread. BTW there is no Flash on the Neo.

3. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Yes, I saw that post before, but honestly I didn't understood.

The reason I asked is because I am designing a library specifically for the Neo M4 "Arduino", and I need to know the limitations on program space and RAM available. In that thread you say it is 128K with OCRAM: Is that RAM or program space? In your post it says that in the DTS it has 8MB reserved for the M4. Is this for RAM purposes or program space? The Arduino IDE says the maximum program size is 524,288 bytes when compiles.

I will appreciate if you can give me some light.

4. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

The M4 has access to 8MB for RAM which it can use for program and or data. From memory the Arduino sketches are compiled down to MQX api calls that are run on top of MQX (not a particularly nice solution). It is explained in the overview section although its a bit cryptic. This deviates for a standard Arduino where sketches are compiled to a native code, where program/data space can easily be estimated. Therefore there is no like for like comparison. I suggest you compile you program and give it try, if doesn't work you can allocate more RAM.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    jrullan likes this.
  5. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Thanks jas-mx. I guess I would have to base the design on assumptions. Makes me uncomfortable, but it seems to be what it is! BTW, should I also assume that the 524,288 bytes maximum program size is an Arduino IDE limitation?