Heatsink on the QUAD removable?

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by DracoLlasa, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

I see there is only 2 screws holding it on, but i have been hesitant to remove in to check things out because i wasn't sure if there is a proper thermal paste seal between the chipset and the heatsink. My only need to remove is out of curiousity, so its not that important.

So can the heatsink be easily removed or would that require re-application of paste?

2. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I would suspect there's paste between the heatsink and CPU(s)

3. andcmp

andcmp New Member

There is a thermal pad between the CPU and the heat sink. I suggest to do not remove the heat sink.

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

that is what i figured.. my curiosity almost got the best of me..

5. HixVAC

HixVAC New Member

Because thermal paste is irreplaceable and will damage the board indefinitely!??? False.

Granted if you do remove it you'd have to replace the thermal paste somehow....is the heatsinc removable if you're not worried about the thermal paste/tape?

(Also does anyone know how the hell to create a new topic...I can't find the option to anywhere lol)

6. HixVAC

HixVAC New Member

--Just removed my heatsinc

It's very simple:
    Remove two heatsinc screws then wiggle it around a little and it comes loose from the thermal tape. If you do this you may want to add more thermal paste after removing the thermal tape. I maybe making my own custom heatsinc as this one seems to not be doing a good enough job...this bad boy runs too warm for my liking.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Yea i know its not a big deal but i dont have thermal paste or tape to replace which is why I asked first.

I will be running some thermal test very soon to ser how well it works, but unless you're going to overclock the chip i would be surprised if you 'have' to replace/upgrade it

8. Kris

Kris Member

Subscribed. I have all sorts of heat sinks and fans lying around that could be used in place of that may work better for actively cooling the board. Depending on where it ends up, i might even machine a heat pipe system.

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

well i ordered some heatsinks, i will be adding one to the SAM3 and surprisingly to the WiFi Adapter.

The main Heatsink itself seems to actually working fine for all needs unless your going to be overclocking somehow.
    That said, a touch of active cooling, especially if in a case would be nice

Thread on thermal testing results
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=155

10. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

not sure i was clear, i have no intention of removing the main quad core i.MX6 heatsink or replacing it.
    In the future when i get some paste i may remove it for some imaging and thermal testing but thats in the future.

The new heatsinks i got will be for the SAM3 chip and for the WiFi Adapter, not the i.MX6