Shameless plug for UDOO NEO RESTFul Service

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by marksull, Dec 10, 2015.

1. marksull

marksull New Member

This Ruby GEM provides a RESTFul service for the UDOO Neo GPIO's, the inbuilt motion sensors (Accelerometer/Magnetometer/Gyroscope) and the Bricks Snap-in Sensors (Barometer/Temperature).

Details can be found here: https://github.com/marksull/udooneorest

Hopefully this will help those that want to monitor/manipulate the UDOO NEO remotely (like me!!).

The paint is still drying, so shoot me a message if you have any issues.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Really great stuff!
    I'd make a blog post about it today.

EDIT:
    done!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. Asterix

Asterix New Member

@markskull, this is fabulous. Thanks for doing this. I wanted to know whether you have attempted capture Wifi and Bluetooth data as well?

4. ddewaele

ddewaele Member

Nice work .... would be nice to have some kind of UI on top of this (perhaps in udoo-web-conf).

I don't know if there are standard APIs / interfaces for dealing with hardware (gpio / pwm / i2c / .....), something like the Java Device IO API (http://docs.oracle.com/javame/8.0/api/dio/api/index.html)

Are you guys aware of any (de-facto) standard APIs for accessing hardware ? I'm thinking about REST interfaces / API definitions / existing frameworks.
    Different implementations for different boards could be offered through a standard API, and people could then build their own UIs on top of that or choose something off-the-shelf that implements these interfaces / APIs).

I'd be happy to help work on this, do some investigation, do some testing, .....

5. marksull

marksull New Member

Hey @Asterix, no I had not looked at wifi/bluetooth. A quick look at the neo docs and I didnt see anything I think I could expose, but I will have a closer look this week. If you have a specfic set of data you want exposed via the REST let me know.

6. marksull

marksull New Member

Hey @ddewaele, what you suggest makes a lot of sense, but Im not aware of any such standard API (otherwise i would have saved myself the effort )

7. ddewaele

ddewaele Member

Perhaps this is an opportunity to begin a standard :)
    I can imagine there's room for implementations in both ruby / python / java / nodejs / c++ ... depending on the target board.

8. marksull

marksull New Member

9. marksull

marksull New Member

There was an issue reported where the GPIOs on the internal header were not exposed via this API. If you had previously installed this gem, use "gem update udooneorest" to get the latest.
    https://github.com/marksull/udooneorest/issues/2

10. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

sambrin and klakier2121 like this.