HELP! LED cubes!

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by C.C, Dec 10, 2015.

1. C.C

C.C New Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm really really new to programming and I'm reallly lost when it comes to using UDOObuntu.
    So here's my problem : I need help.
    I got myself the Udoo Neo in the hopes of running Raspbian and Arduino's IDE to program/control extrenal little projects, like an LED Cube.
    It seems like it will take some time before the Udoo Neo will be completely functional and able to be used to it's max potential.
    As of now, I'm not even sure if it would be possible for me to use the GPIO pins to connect my 4x4x4 or my 3x3x3 cube to the board and control it with Udoobuntu.
    Anyone could help?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  2. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi C.C.,

You should be able to do what you need at this point by using the Arduino IDE that comes with the NEO image.
    You will need a PC running Linux or Windows, follow the instructions on how to copy the image to a microSD card and to connect the PC to the NEO.
    Or use a keyboard / mouse / monitor to program directly in NEO.
    In summary, you don't really need the 'missing" functionality" in NEO just use its Arduino IDE.
    If you don't need to access your setup from the Internet, it is just like an expensive Arduino board ....

-Jack

C.C likes this.
  3. C.C

C.C New Member

Alrighty then, that confirms the idea/back-up plan I had in my head for a while now.
    Thanks a lot!
    I'll put this solution to test soon enough and maybe post results if they yield any!

4. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

I hope it will work for you. This is the relatively easy part of Udoo to make work. You can do it all from inside Udoo Arudiono IDE. You don't even need a PC after you get the Udoo uSD card done. Just a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to connect to the NEO.

Now, keep in mind that the Udoo I/O is not 5V tolerant in case you are planning to connect TTL (5V to it). You will need a driver for the LEDs specially if these are multiple LEDS and high powered.

Also, keep in mind that the compilation and upload in NEO using Arduino IDE is significantly slower then using a PC with an Arduino. I conciser it not usable for my needs at this point. Even the easy Blink example takes a long time to get done.

If controlling LEDs is all you want to do without controlling it by the Internet and /or wireless, I would spend US $15 on an Arduino Mega compatible board and use it vs. Udoo NEO. You will be able to compile/upload your code much quicker than what you can do on NEO today. Moreover, if you damage the board, it is only US~15 to replace it...

5. C.C

C.C New Member

TTL?
    And what driver would I need? I already have some resistors prepared for that...

6. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Sorry, if you are just using output that should not be a problem IF your LEDs are low power and you are driving them under the NEO current limit for each pin. Do some readind on it. In summary if you take too much current form your NEO output pins, you will most likely damage it.
    If you are driving hi power LEDs, get a driver. Google driving high power leds. It wil be "an interface" between your neo and the LEDs.

7. C.C

C.C New Member

I firmly believe that my LEDs are low powered enough for the job.
    As for the current limit on the board, I can't seem to find anything on the Neo's docs under the hardware reference pages.
    That's a bummer.

8. Xykon

Xykon Member

A 3x3 cube would have 27 LEDs while the UDOO neo only has 22 Arduino GPIOs (M4 dedicated). Your best bet for this project is to use serial port extenders to control your LEDs. That way the LEDs are driven by the port extender and not the UDOO. If the port extender cannot provide enough current to power the LEDs you can add transistors to act as switches. Instead of just a port extender you could use a PWM chip that would also allow you to control the brightness of each LED allowing for nicer effects, especially if you might consider using RGB LEDs at some point.

9. C.C

C.C New Member

Oh, I forgot to update this post here.
    I finished my product and it works like a wonder!
    As for the missing available GPIO pins, I used the A0 to A3 pins for layers and the rest for the 16 LEDs...
    I followed Kyle The Creator's tutorial on how to do it (from instructable. Com)

10. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Great! You would be even greater if you uploaded your project on udoo.hackster.io!

Richard McCausland likes this.
  11. necromancer

necromancer New Member

I would be interested in seeing this as well. Please upload if possible.

Richard McCausland likes this.