Kernel version used

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by ddewaele, Dec 27, 2015.

1. ddewaele

ddewaele Member

I downloaded the latest neo image, and noticed it was using the following kernel

Code:
    Linux udooneo 3.14.56-udooneo-02202-gfeef1c3 #46 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 23 12:40:49 CET 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
    I'm looking to enable tunnelling while still using a supported kernel. If I understand correctly the kernel sources for the neo are located here : https://github.com/UDOOboard/linux_kernel

However, I didn't find the version or the gfeef1c3 commit ID in the repo above. What would be the best way to enable tunnelling on my UDOO Neo ? Can it be done without recompiling the kernel, and if I need to download kernel source, what branch / tag / version should I use ?

2. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Probably such commit has been generated locally as a merge commit (and not pushed on GitHub).
    You can safely use the `3.14-1.0.x-udoo` branch.

Are you talking about `CONFIG_NET_IPIP`? This module is not built, if you need you can rebuild the kernel enabling it.
    Code:
    ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- make udoo_neo_defconfig
    ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- make menuconfig
    ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- make zImage modules
    May I ask you how do you use this module? We could include it in the next release.

3. ddewaele

ddewaele Member

The module I'm talking about is the Universal TUN/TAP device driver support (http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/TUN.html)
    The idea is to always have the Neo accessible over a secure connection, even when hooked up somewhere unsecure using dhcp.
    For that we use OpenVPN that requires the tunnelling module. The Neo then connects to an openvpn server, and we can access the neo from there.

4. ddewaele

ddewaele Member

The idea is to get up and running as quickly as possible starting from a base image. Without recompiling the kernel. (slow on the udoo, and some cross-compile setup needed to do it on a laptop).

So would be nice if you could setup a kernel in the base image that supports this.

5. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

We will provide VPN modules in the next kernel release. For now if you can rebuild the kernel from the sources.