[SOLVED] Setting up VNC Sessions

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by DracoLlasa, Oct 18, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

so tonight i installed tightnvc to setup a VNC server as i would any other system based on my own recommendation in another thread, but it doesn't seem to work.

i installed tightvncserver, started up the session, entered the new password all as normal.
    I then connected remotely, it prompts for a password and started the session..
    this is where it seems to break, it loads blank tan screen with an error: failed to load session "ubuntu"

im def not a linux expert, but this has always been a pretty straight forward setup..

Anyone encountered this before? is it a problem with my vncserver setup?

2. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

Re: VNC Sessions not working

I have the same problem, we're trying to solve it, seems to be a problem on startx configuration.

3. danielespitia

danielespitia New Member

Re: VNC Sessions not working

I had the same problem! but I solved it!!!

Create a new file in your home directory called .xsession and put the following line into it:

gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback

[​IMG]

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Re: [SOLVED] VNC Sessions not working

Thanks so much, i will try this as soon as i can

5. mangsab

mangsab New Member

I got it work too. But I want to press "d" on vnc. It minimized all windows :(

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i was also able to get the VNC session working but had this same issue, when i press D key it clears the windows
    Here is how to resolve it

Application menu -> System Tools -> System Settings
    Select Keyboard then the Shortcuts tab
    Select Navigation then on the right find "Hide all normal windows"
    doubleclick on the " D " ont he right then press backspace. it should now say " Disabled "

restart VNC Server then it should work fine

7. mangsab

mangsab New Member

It's work. Thank you very much.

8. darknight

darknight New Member

Thanks this helped me, this is probably dumb but after changing /home/USER/.xsession had to restart the vnc server for it to take the conf.

9. Digidancer

Digidancer New Member

Sorry in advance for posting in a SOLVED thread, but I don't appear to have the ability to start a thread at present, and this is the thread relevant to my question...

How have you been able to install tightvnc? When I do an "apt-get install tightvncserver" I get "Package tightvncserver is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source" This was after I did "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade".

I've been searching the web, but haven't been able to find a ppa to add to my repos. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. Would someone please be so kind as to send me in the right direction? Thanks.

10. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

apt-get install synaptic
    Then open the package manager in the gui and enable the othe repositories
    Then run the install for tightvnc again

See this thread for more details
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100&p=1054

11. Digidancer

Digidancer New Member

I'm getting the same problem with synaptic that I'm getting with tightvnc. "Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source".

I did add the repos suggested in the thread you mention to "sources.list" using nano, did an "apt-get update" and then an "apt-get upgrade". It was only after doing that and still getting the package not available that I posted here.

Most of the repos update just fine, but I am getting the following error: "W: Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/oneiric-updates/Release Unable to find expected entry 'multivers/source/Sources' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ports.ubuntu.com_dists_oneiric_universe_binary-armel_Packages Hash Sum mismatch"

This must be the source of my problems. Any thoughts on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

12. Digidancer

Digidancer New Member

Okay, solved my problem. Had a <DOH!> moment. I must have missed the final "e" in multiverse when I copied and pasted the list of repos to nano when editing sources.list. After I noticed that, then the update when much better. I was still getting a gzip check sum mismatch error on a file in "/var/lib/apt/lists/partials". I removed all the files there and ran update again. This time everything worked. I then did the upgrade and got a huge number of files to upgrade. Once that completed I was able to install synaptic and tightvncserver.

Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to start tightvnc from the command line (I'm sshed into the UDOO).

Thanks for your help and I hope that my misadventure is helpful to someone else.

13. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

once its installed open a terminal window and then run:
    vncserver :1 -depth 24 -geometry 1920x1080

The second 2 are optional but can help you get the right sized window if you are having issues getting it sized right without those options
    After you run it for the first time you will be prompted for a password, enter whatever you want (twice)
    it shoudl then ask if you want to create a readonly password, generally you can skip this

Then from your remote PC connect to the UDOO using the IP adress followed by :1
    Such as 192.168.10.25:1
    then enter the password you used when you ran the command

14. Digidancer

Digidancer New Member

Thank you for your thoughtful replies to this.

I wasn't able to get "vncserver :1 -depth 24 -geometry 1920x1080" to work, but I was able to get "usr/bin/tightvncserver" to work.

The reminder to put ":1" at the end of the IP address was very helpful. I did have some trouble connecting until I added that.

It's all working for me now. Thanks for your help.

15. kenr

kenr New Member

Got it all working after carrying out changes detailed in this thread, with one exception ...

I cannot get vncserver to automatically start on power up after adding the line in the etc/rc.local file as given in the tutorial. If I'm to use RC to access UDOO with a connected keyboard and screen this would appear to be quite mportant.

Given that the tutorial lacked some vital missing/incorrect information to get Remote Desktop working, could the etc/rc.local instructions also be in error.

Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Regarding Tutorials - it would be good if they could all be tested on the SD Card Image before posting to the site. In this case the nano editor is not installed in the image and has to be installed before the etc/rc.local file can be amended. Testing this on the 1.2 SD image would have shown up this stuation, plus it may have enabled the other issues resolved in this thread to be added.

Thanks for all who contributed to resolving the issue in this thread. Perhaps all of the amendments needed to get the RC working could be added into an amended tutorial.

Ken

16. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Thanks Ken for your feedback about the tutorial, much appreciated.

17. bhakta

bhakta New Member

I too had trouble with tightvnc for a whole day not being able to
    1) launch on startup (tried suggested post)
    2) get rid of that annoying 'd' minimize (tried getting rid of it under keyboard shortcuts)
    3) start a virtual session on each tightvnc login (tightvncserver feature I didn't want)

ultimately I gave up and tightvnc wasn't the answer for me I needed to have the actual session I can see on the screen
    I opted for x11vnc here is the procedure for how I got it working

to enable VNC at login-prompt for linaro first become sudo with sudo -s. then in terminal type
    Code:
    sudo -s
    apt-get install lightdm-gtk-greeter x11vnc
    x11vnc -storepasswd /etc/x11vnc.pass

it will ask for a login password type it in twice
    edit the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    Code:
    [SeatDefaults]
    autologin-user=ubuntu
    autologin-user-timeout=0
    #greeter-session=unity-greeter
    #user-session=gnome-fallback
    greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
    user-session=Lubuntu

save then create the file /etc/init/x11vnc.conf
    Code:
    start on login-session-start
    script
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
    end script

save then edit .xsession
    Code:
    startlubuntu
    #gnome-session-fallback

save and reboot
    Code:
    shutdown -r now 

you should be able to access it on port 5900
    and you may want to setup udoo on static ip in network adapter settings

18. droman

droman New Member

Thanks, thanks, thanks .... thanks ^100

19. bhakta

bhakta New Member

anyone have issues with lag over wifi? my pings to udoo range from 5ms to 200ms with a few timeouts pretty much every number across the board, and pings from udoo are normal 1ms to 15ms.

Im running 12.04

20. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

See if you have the same issue using the Linaro v1.3 image
    Also ensure you are using a class 10 uSD card