Arduino Libraries on UDOO NEO: tell us what to port

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Andrea Rovai, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Friends,
    we want to make UDOO NEO work as an Arduino, but to get to this level of efficiency we have to port Arduino libraries on UDOO NEO.
    There are thousands of Arduino libraries, so as you can imagine, we have to choose what to port.
    At the moment we have someone working on the porting of FastLed and Liquid Crystal.
    But we're waiting for your ideas on what to port next.
    So please, unleash hell and tell us which Arduino library you want on NEO.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Servo would be nice

3. paulbearne

paulbearne New Member

i would aim for the Standard libraries here once these are in most of the adfruit seedstudio and sparkfun libraries work out of the box https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Libraries many third party use softserial due to lack of ports on uno so an implentation of that would allow third party libs to run without modification.

Richard McCausland and waltervl like this.
  4. realny10

realny10 New Member

I would like to have and really need SoftwareSerial library.

I'm looking forward to get LiquidCrystal library too. It's great you're working on it.

5. stanleyyork11

stanleyyork11 New Member

Neopixels please :)

Sent from my Harrier Tab from EE using Tapatalk

Richard McCausland and jrullan like this.
  6. David wang

David wang New Member

Chinese proverb said, Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. "授人以鱼不如授人以渔"
    So if this forum teach everyone to add libraries, they will do it themselves! Thanks!

Al3Co, jrullan and paulbearne like this.
  7. Felix Serna

Felix Serna New Member

• Servo +1
    • Improving the speed and robustness of Serial <=> ttyMCC is, in my opinion, mandatory. At least in my experience, writing/reading Serial (/dev/ttyMCC) is still prone to hicups, delays, etc. Maybe the real sex-appeal of udoo-neo is precisely: beeing able to run a distributed application (linux for the high level part / arduino for the hard realtime side of things) in a single affordable board. So, a way to share data between the two parts (high volume, fast speed, low latency) is of a key importance.

I don't resist to add another suggestion (yes, yes, i know it is out of the scope of "what arduino library to port first"), but anyway here it goes:
    • some kind of shared memory mechanism between A9 <-> M4 (that is, not a serial channel but a common memory space) would be great.
    Félix

gefla and bander like this.
  8. paulbearne

paulbearne New Member

after reading David wang post which is in fact the way to go. I started to ask why you need to modify these libraries I have an Intel Galileo and Edison arduino board variants which x86 cpu running yocto linux the libraries such as liquid crystal as did most 3rd party libraries worked unmodified with these variants. as you said there are hundreds of libraries they should work with any variant if the Pinmap and low level libraries are in place. Can i suggest you install one of the non Atmel variants the Edison or Galileo these devices have a set of libraries setup so it acts like the Uno then all the examples compile and work without modification.

9. Jojne_ZImmerman

Jojne_ZImmerman New Member

I have the same feelings like realny10. I feel like doing some projects using NEO board, but it's impossible for me without these libraries.

10. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Servo and Neopixels!
    But also as suggested by David Wang, a tutorial on how to port any library would allow us to venture into it and maybe eventually we will do the work faster, the community grows and you sell more boards! Seems like a Win-Win.

Richard McCausland likes this.
  11. klakier2121

klakier2121 Member

USB Host Shield and servo so far

12. rreignier

rreignier New Member

The Encoder, TimerOne and TimerThree libraries from pjrc would be nice to reuse some existing robotics codes.
    Thanks.

13. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

14. Andrea Rovai

We didn't put the libraries in the roadmap because the porting will be made by SECO's external collaborators, not by the core developers of the UDOO Team. Anyway we'll add them to avoid these miscomprehensions.

15. Andrea Rovai

Anyway, you're totally wrong, @waltervl. Have you checked the file? I admit that I answered without double-checking but the libraries are not in Q2 or Q1 as you said: they are meant to be published on February.

16. realny10

realny10 New Member

If I can see well, it's only LiquidCrystal library included in 7 on trello from these asked by users in this topic, isn't it?
    When can we expect others?

On trello "LiquidCrystal" is checked. So, what should we do to be able to use it on UDOO?

17. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

This what I see on Trello, I don't see any other reference to Arduino libraries. Perhaps what you see is not public (yet)?
    And what I meant is that in your opening post you mentioned the libraries as in the roadmap but non of the libraries mentioned by the users are added to this roadmap also not in Q1/Q2.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

realny10 likes this.
  18. Andrea Rovai

Ok ok I got it now. Sorry if I've been rude. We're evaluating what else to port.
    P.S. @paulbearne
    are you sure? https://communities.intel.com/thread/48405?start=0&tstart=0

Anyway, good news: a guide about porting libraries to UDOO NEO is on your way guys.

jrullan likes this.
  19. Andrea Rovai

20. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer