New cases - dual fans & HDD options - v2.0 updated Nov.28th

Discussion in 'Cases' started by Kris, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Kris

Kris Member

I've created a new case design after running into problems trying to mount my Dual in the existing boxes. I used the full mechanical assemblies to design the cases, but I only have the Dual at my disposal (and a Quad on order). If anyone with a Quad wants to print it out and offer some feedback while I wait for mine to arrive, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:172397

For future revisions I'm thinking of adding a 2nd box under the board to hold a 2.5" HDD with a bit of room to internally run the SATA and power cables as well as a mount/ducting for a 40 or 50mm cooling fan. I left a touch of room on the side of the board next to where the SATA connector is on the Quad, but I suspect there'll need to be a bit more space to allow for excess cable as I haven't found any 2 or 3" long cables yet.

- Nov.3 update - Revision 2.0 'Trekkie edition', whole new design with HDD/SSD compartment and dual 40mm exhaust fans integrated from the start. Old designs are still available for download if you want a single fan or or no HDD...

- Oct.31 update - Added rudimentary 2.5" (laptop) HDD holder and new case bottom with fan mount and vent hole to let some of the fan air down into the HDD space. Will need to do a complete redesign to move the cables internal and reduce the fan footprint. With a SATA HDD, accessing the microsd won't be as necessary.

- Oct.30 update - Changed front panel so half of openings is on bottom and half on top, this should eliminate the need to use support material making for some cleaner prints. Also enlarged the port openings around the micro-USB slots to improve cable fitment.
    - Additional base with 40mm fan mount added. *** fan will need to be removed to access microsd slot ***

- Oct.27 update - added cooling slots above WiFi, merged Dual and Quad Core designs, added some fillets to help printing without support material, and other refinements.

Attached Files:

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Re: Created new cases - open to feedback

nice work, keep going!

Temps seem to be higher than many expected, so perhaps a fan *AND* SATA would be a winning combo?

3. Robbob

Robbob New Member

hello kris, good work I'll most certainly print it when I get access to my printer again!

I have just one question, not that I'm complaining, but why the no derivative licence? Would could get help on the design no?

4. jaeg

jaeg Member

Maybe add a vent around the wifi module area? That particular part gets hot as well.

5. Kris

Kris Member

I'm just finishing up my mechanical engineering degree, so I'd like to do the development myself as I'll be including this in my portfolio. I plan to change all my licences once I graduate, secure a job for after I graduate, or don't have time to keep up with requests, whichever comes first.
    Next round of updates and add-ons will probably be Thursday.

6. Robbob

Robbob New Member

@kris that makes perfect sense. best of luck with your degree!

7. HixVAC

HixVAC New Member

SATA space & Fan--vote x1000.

Also, I'd be willing to pay for one as I don't have a 3D printer.

8. Kris

Kris Member

Would you be running a hard drive as well ? because I'll likely incorporate a fan mount and additional ducting at that point. I don't want to add too many holes as it can make printing the part more difficult.

Another question for everyone, what size hardware/screws. I was thinking I'd use some M2 screws I had kicking around, but they're not a terribly common size. I have lots of fine and course screws kicking around from old PC builds, but they're a bit larger, which requires making the corner posts a bit more bulky.

You should fill in your location. There may be someone nearby that can hook you up, otherwise, I'll probably print out a number of prototypes as I refine the design.

9. HixVAC

HixVAC New Member

Done and done. Good call, Kris!

10. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Kris, it was mentioned on IRC this evening that for those who don't have access to a 3D printer a 2D option for laser cutting (out of metal or acrylic) may be a good option. Up for that too?

11. Kris

Kris Member

A clear acrylic case would be cool. I'll look into that next weekend after the HDD and fan options are done ;)

Just uploaded a revised series of files. Added vent holes above the WIFI card and merged the Dual and Quad core bases. Also increased the sizes of the hardware holes and offset the mounting holes a bit to still allow unobstructed access.

12. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Re: Created new cases - open to feedback - design updated Oc

Design looks great.. i put the vote for the SATA slot, but would really choose both that and the fan
    Keep up the good work. I won't have my 3D printer for a few months so in the mean time i will wait for some to go up for sale

13. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

Nice design - looks great.

A noob question... I downloaded the Quad's Mechanical Specs (zip'd file) - and checked the pdf file. Couldn't see any mechanical (dimensional) specs. Was only able to rotate and view the quad from different angles.

How would one go about getting the dimensional specs on the quad, to be able to build a case.

thanks,
    /venkat

14. Kris

Kris Member

I imported the whole assembly into Solidworks. It's a bit taxing on the cpu/memory so give it a few minutes. Then go to evaluate and grab the dimension tool to start taking measurements.
    If you're planning to print the parts, make sure to give yourself some extra clearance in the X-Y plane for small features because there's always some die swell.

15. shaneaus

shaneaus New Member

I just ordered my UDUO and I'm looking forward to seeing your completed case. I would also be interested in the one with the fan and sata drive add ons. Also, hoping you went with standard PC type screw posts... Most any of us that mess around with PC's have plenty of those and I wouldn't want to have to go to a hardware store just to get screws for this case...

Thanks for the hard work, good luck on your degree, and can't wait to have the final product printed! I don't have a 3D printer - but, I live in Austin, Tx - so, I'm sure to find someone local who does who will print it out for me!

16. andcmp

andcmp New Member

This is great @Kris!

17. fmotta

fmotta New Member

Please create this in openSCAD so I can readily add features/changes

18. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

'am able to arrive at reasonably accurate dimensional measurements using the 3D Measurement tool within the latest Acrobat Reader app, and using the following help link:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/usi ... -7ffe.html

With a scale setting of:
    0.11 model unit(s) = 4.31 inches
    'am able to get the measurements for the Quad.

Didn't want to pay for 3D CAD tools like SolidWorks ;!)

/venkat

19. Kris

Kris Member

Totally understand that. I believe you can also download the Solidworks E Drawings viewer for free and it will open most 3d files and has a tape measure under the tools menu.

20. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

Thanks for the info, Kris.
    I installed SolidWorks E Drawings viewer, but it doesn't seem to have the option to read any of the distributed 3D files:
    IGS, DXF, AP2xx formats.
    What 'am I missing here...

thx,
    /v