Booting Udoo?

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by bugmenot, Oct 16, 2013.

1. dadykstr

dadykstr New Member

Can you actually unzip the images with gnu unzip?

2. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Any idea when the smaller Android image will be available for download? I'm at the point where I might as well buy a 16 gig card.

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

The UDOO guys have stated that updated images, (i believe including Android) will be released this week

4. dtirados

dtirados New Member

I have the same problem as dkonhauser. I purchsed my UDOO QUAD with the preloaded images and neither of them work!

I also downloaded and flashed ubuntu images from the website twice and I still have the same result. Does anyone know if it happens to somebody else?

5. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

While patiently waiting for a downsized android image I found the "if you ordered from KS with preloaded SD cards, do this update or you'll die) page and I'm not sure if I should do that update (I can get it to boot under Linux and I can open a terminal). Is that a ROM update and is it applicable for a system that will (eventually) only run Adroid? Thanks.

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

Dave, the update is only for the Ubuntu image... It basically updates the uboot and the kernel for Ubuntu and some other stuff in the Ubuntu that was lacking or needed fixing.

If you're just running android, you don't need to do it.

dtirados: Strange. I got mine with the 2 preloaded cards and they worked right away first try. The boot (for Ubuntu at least) DID take a while though... (like 2 minutes)... If you're having the HDMI video issue, they're still working on that.

7. iByte

iByte New Member

Please when will the image be uploaded?

Glenn

8. dtirados

dtirados New Member

mkopack, It's very strange, I know. I tried several times, performing different tests: unppling HDMI, plugging it, but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried to connect through serial port but I had no output.

I've tried 4 times to download and flash the images con the sd card with the same result, using win32diskimager which is the same tool I used to flash my raspbmc image for my pi.

I'm quite lost.... really

9. andcmp

andcmp New Member

This topic is collecting various types of issues and isn't very helpful anymore.

If your UDOO gives you a blank black screen, follow the troubleshooting procedure to understand if you're experiencing an HDMI problem or if you have a bad flashed micro SD.

For HDMI related issues, please go here:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=193

For micro SD related issues, please go here:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=194

10. Bad_Syntax

Bad_Syntax New Member

Mine doesn't work... .period.

I plug the enclosed AC adapter into the wall, plug it in, and the power light just blinks, NOTHING, EVER, regardless of card or button presses.

However, once I plugged the "debug" cable in, the power LED stayed solid. However, this only applied to the inner micro-usb, not the outer one.

Now I eventually see the Android logo come up, and occasional flashes or monitor reconnects, but it never ever finishes.

The linux boot sd card does nothing at all, ever, period. There is no output onto the USB debug.

Extremely frustrating to get something that doesn't work :(

Anything crazy I can try, or should I be ebaying this sucker?

11. andcmp

andcmp New Member

I think you could probably experiencing some power issues, what power supply are you using? Do you have another PS to try?

12. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

A blinking power LED does indicate insufficient power, based upon IRC chats on the topic

13. Bad_Syntax

Bad_Syntax New Member

Well I'm using the power supply that came with it, so I assumed it was sufficient.

USB did apparently give it enough power, the light stays on if its plugged in, though it still doesn't come up.

The one time it did kinda boot I think I had it plugged into AC power *AND* USB. I'll try that again tonight and see if it helps.

I'll also look for another power supply with the same adapter, which is always a pain.

14. jensbjorgensen

jensbjorgensen New Member

Serial Port issue (SOLVED)

I used minicom in linux to try to log in on the serial port. I could see boot messages but I couldn't seem to send anything. It turned out the minicom default for the port was hardware flow control on. Once I turned this off I could send input to the serial port. I tried using screen also that worked without any special settings. This is weird though, I haven't had to turn h/w flow control off on other usb-to-serial devices I've used, and I generally use minicom.

15. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Well, I did finally setup an sd reader (I suppose there's a reason I should own one) and I set the new android image download, unzip to burn overnight - it looks like I have an image on the card now. Next step is to hook everything up and cross my fingers. I must say, and I speak from having backed well over a hundred crowd funded projects, the advantages of getting this out the door are admirable but its clear from reading the posts, this wasn't quite ready for prime time. A few more weeks to make sure that the various image flavor a actually worked, sorting out the apparent power supply issues, etc., would have been well spent. As the old saying goes, you don't get a second chance to make a food first impression. My Udoo is planned to be used as a controller and display driver (using Able-HD - frustratingly sitting in a the bax waiting for udoo) velcro'd to the back of the Able panel in a custom gram enclosure with a 1w WiFi radio. Today I'll take my precious sd card and put all the pieces together and see if it all works. This has been very frustrating. I actually ordered and received a 16g sd card which arrived just as they released the compacted android image which appears to be sized to fit on an 8g card. Not allot of extra space after that though. Cautiously optimistic but frustrated as you can imagine. Just as a side mite, I used he included charge p/s and booted Linux fine but didn't have the wifi plugged in. I assume it will work fully connected with everything but I've got my trusty tektronix p/s on my bench just in case. I have t even given thought as to the Arduino side of things but hopefully, if I can actually get it to boot android, I can take advantage of having Arduio capabilities on the same board which for me, since this is a dedicated security device for eventual commercial distribution, is a core requirement (I need the dig and analog I/O and the functionality hats off the shelf with all the tried and true shields available. I'm not quite sure, having a. Background in both h/w & s/w product delivery, how an un bootable product made it out the door. It's clear from all the posts, mine wasn't an isolated instance and this is a widespread issue. The whole power thing is also baffling. Didn't so done load test the board with everything you. An connect, connected? Seem like a simple amps vs. demand issue. In any case, hopefully my precious android build will work and I won't have yet another well intentioned product in a box waiting to be ebay'd.

16. mkopack

mkopack Member

Dave, there's ways to expand the filesystem to use the full 16GB on the card once you get it booting. Don't worry about that... It's pretty easy to do...

Also, keep in mind, they had to deliver 5000+ of these boards... They couldn't possibly do a full test on every one of them. Some are bound to have issues along the way. Remember, happy people RARELY post their good experiences, while people with problems almost ALWAYS do. Sorry that you're in that 2nd category. Hang in there, we'll all get through it. It's just going to take some time for things to mature more.

17. mkopack

mkopack Member

And honestly, my experience in the early days of the Raspberry Pi was NO better than this at all... (and in some ways worse...)

18. oxygen84

oxygen84 New Member

Could a RAM chip have 'fallen out'?

Mine also doesn't seem to work at all. As I was handling it a little rectangular chip appeared in my hand. The markings read 3FK17 D9PTK, the latter (and the logo) matches a Micron RAM chip. At first I thought the SD card had fallen out somehow.

I've tried creating boot SD cards from both a 16GB and a 32GB MicroSD, both Android and Ubuntu. I've connected to the serial debug and I get zero feedback.

I believe I can power it from either an external adapter, or the USB OTG (the LED remains solid either way). When I connect my Windows PC to the USB OTG port, there is one "device connected" sound, followed by continual "device disconnected" sounds. If I press the reset button while it's doing this, I get one device connected, then the continual stream again. Strangely, the LED occasionally remains on but dim after disconnecting the either the OTG USB or the main power with the serial USB connected (it's presumably drawing a small amount of power from that connection).

19. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

I finally have my Udoo up and running under Android. I ended up using a 16gig card with the 1.1 downsized image. Booted right up. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can utilize the additional 8 GB of space on the card - I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. BTW, I was concerned about the power issues being reported so I initially powered it up off a Tek industrial P/S - in the end, the 12V1A P/S that came with the Udoo workers just fine. No issues at all (although I'm not using wifi). Now off to get the apps I need installed and. Load up some Arduno sketches I have - hence the need for some more space and to figure out how to utilize the remaining free space on the card.

20. mkopack

mkopack Member

Crap. Forgot you are using android. The method I know only works (AFAIK) on Linux.

Any android savvy people around???