Waterproof case for outdoor

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Maurice, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I'm thinking of using my Neo outside in the garden. I have the possibility to connect it to a permanent power supply line. I would like to guide the power supply inside a box where I can connect the power adapter to a socket.

I would like to measure typical things as the temperature, atmospheric pressure, soil humidity, and so on. It should be at least capable of getting the power line in, and some sensors out.

I am wondering how to get it all waterproof as rain will get anywhere. Also, is there a risk of moisture due to temperature changes?

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Actually I don't how where to point you, you should search on Google or ask an electrician nearby you.

3. Manfred van der Voort

Manfred van der Voort New Member

Maurice, making a thing watertight and at the same time functioing properly with switches, cables, connectors, etc. isn't that easy. There are a lot of electronic components like enclosures, cable inlets and switches availble for the Maker. They all have specs like IP65, IP67 or IP68 as a reference for the level of watertightness in practise.

If your project demands for a touch screen, you may have a look at this project: https://www.hackster.io/mvandervoort/maritime-instrument-display-controller-2b3736 That's all about a UDOO Neo integrating in a maritime solution, which will being used in a harsh outdoor environment: on a boat with salt sea water, sunlight and wide ranging temperatures. I can tell from practise: it's a rough challenge nevertheless a Maker can make it with persistence, collecting proper knowledge and experimenting! So you can Make it in your case, that's for sure.