HDMI Sizing

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by bolts25, Oct 19, 2013.

1. bolts25

bolts25 New Member

UDOO is detecting my HDMI monitor correctly and the output is fine.

However the monitor has a border that obscures some pixels all around (top, bottom, left and right edges).

How can I re-size the GNOME desktop so it will fit on visible part of my screen?

I know I can do this on a raspberry pi. (Raspi-config).

2. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I'm also interested in knowing how to do this. I have this issue regularly on Linux systems I use on my display (TV) at 1920x1080 as well

3. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

That's just the TV itself. Look in the TVs settings for overscan and turn that off. TVs aren't setup like computer monitors.

4. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I've tried and there is no setting on my TV (Sony LCD) to correct this, that's where I started to try to correct it. I suspect correcting it similarly to how OP may need to for his monitor should help in my case as well

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Not sure were you'd do it, but I'm willing to bet there's options somewhere in the OS to set the overscan settings for the monitor. We were able to do this on the RPi. I would search for "Ubuntu video overscan setting" on google and start searching.

6. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I'm going to try this solution here: http://www.ubuntuask.com/q/answers-gefo ... 26475.html

I remember the display being listed as "default" when I checked. In my case, it's 1920x1080 so what I would try would be:
    xrandr --mode 1920x1080 --pos XXxYY

Where XX and YY are the offset positions. Consequently the resolution will likely need to be adjusted as, when the offset is increased the screen simply moves in that direction as a whole leading to more overscan on the opposite side. So it'll take some playing around but this should do it. I knew something like this was possible as XMBC has a setting to adjust the screen offset to fit the screen properly (quick GUI) but it doesn't seem something is available like that outside of XMBC

So, I'm thinking, in my case a good starting point will be:
    xrandr --mode 1880x1040 --pos 40x40

...to see what happens as an example. Hope this helps OP and others. I'm not 100% sure if this will correct it yet as I haven't had the opportunity to try it but plan to later

7. jaeg

jaeg Member

Have you had any luck with this? Every time I use xrandr it gives me an error saying it can't find the size of gamma.

8. va-matt

va-matt New Member

I also have a Sony Bravia LCD TV that I'm using as my UDOO monitor. Fiddled with software for a while, then went digging through the TV menus. If you look at Menu->Screen->Display Area, if you see "normal", you'll have the problems described. Changes this to "Full Pixel" and you're good to go.

I haven't figured out how to make this the default setting for this HDMI input on the TV so the setting persists and I don't have to tweak it every time I connect the UDOO to the TV.

9. jaeg

jaeg Member

My TV doesn't seem to have these types of options and when using it as a second monitor for my desktop I haven't noticed this before either.

10. BenL

BenL New Member

I have an LG monitor (1920x1080) for my Windows PC connected with a VGA cable. I also connected my UDOO with the HDMI cable to the monitor. At first, I couldn't see the top part of the UDOO desktop on the screen. In the menu of the monitor, I found an setting under Aspect Ratio called "Scan", switching to that fixed the screen size automagically.

11. rsevs3

rsevs3 New Member

I also have this problem. I am using a small 7" screen that only allows me to set the aspect ratio, no overscan settings.

I have been trying to adjust the resolution in the uboot setting, but i have not had much luck yet.

12. bwautosport

bwautosport New Member

What is the display? A Lilliput or something similar to this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1GK0H07467

If so, the overscan is likely causing the display to hide part of the image. You can't fix this on the Lilliput like you can on fully fledged displays - turning on/off overscan. Using a lower resolution can help the situation, but it still overscans some. And if you're using a resolution that's not an official CEA mode, then audio won't be transmitted over the HDMI (assuming your display has speakers built in, like my Lilliput).

In my case, I can switch the input on the display from HDMI to VGA/DVI/Video1/Video2 - the DVI input is provided via an HDMI/DVI converter, and switching the input over to the DVI input gets rid of the overscan. The drawback here, again, is that audio can't be transmitted over DVI. Not a huge deal if you have speakers connected, but if you were hoping to have audio pass-thru, it's a no go.

This is explained in greated detail at this Boundary Devices post: http://boundarydevices.com/hdmi/

13. misterdj

misterdj New Member

When connecting the HDMI nothing appears, if it worked before, you connect the LVD screen of 7 pulagadas and it works but I wanted to again use the HDMI does not work nothing comes cooperation could help me please

14. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member