[SOLVED] Problem with LiquidCrystal for Neo

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by icce, Apr 12, 2016.

1. icce

icce New Member

I have just upgrade to the new Ubuntu 2 RC2, everything is great, booting faster, the desktop responses faster when using VNC.
    The only problem is when I use Arduino (come with the new release Ubuntu) libraries.
    Although IDE load code more stable now, the Neo character LCD library still don't work. Actually with the original LCD library, the program always stop at the beginning of the code, but this time, the code go through, I can printout something from serial, but my LCD still did not start up and show anything. I have test this LCD with other 3.3V microcontroller (Teensy) and the new Arduino 101, and it works well, so I think it's not about the LCD.
    I make this post to ask Udoo team or anyone test this LCD library work can show me the picture or video, so that I can debug my problem.
    I will try with the I2C control LCD and update later.
    Thanks.

2. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Hi there,
    I tried the "HelloWorld" sketch with a FECC1602G, and it doesn't work either.
    Same thing, it works well with UDOO Quad (3.3V) and Arduino Duemilanove (5V), but not with UDOO Neo.

We have to investigate further.
    Thanks,
    ek5

P.S.: can you please share the model of your LCD module? Thanks again

3. icce

icce New Member

@ektor5 , I tried the SainSmart LCD Keypad Shield, I used this for other 3.3V board like Teensy, Freescale mbed, they all worked ok. Therefore I wonder is there anyone test the library before publication.

PS: I mainly use NEO for Python, Processing & Arduino, just for my hobby. Thanks Udoo team. And I consider back for new Udoo Kickstarter :D

4. ektor5

Ok, there were a problem in the init() function:
    MQX forbids hardware setup OUTSIDE the setup() function. So I had to move them inside begin().
    Check out commit https://github.com/UDOOboard/LiquidCrystal/commit/15e15aca3db47129e1d6cd605d12402d133482ec
    I’m updating the library and the UDOObuntu library package, so soon you’ll be able to upgrade with an
    Code:
     # apt-get update && apt-get upgrade 
    BTW we do testing before releasing, but not every donut comes out with the hole :D

ek5

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Bairon and delba like this.
  5. icce

icce New Member

Thanks @ektor5 , I've just checked the new code, I worked smoothly, both on NEO and on external IDE.
    Don't mind my writing, for coding, bugs sometimes happen :D

Andrea Rovai and delba like this.
  6. Bairon

Bairon New Member

Thanks for you response, but how i connect my lcd 16x2 on a udoo neo with sda/scl connectors?

7. ektor5

Hi there Bairon,
    LiquidCrystal support Hitachi-like display only, that isn't I2C compliant. If you have a I2C display, you need a different library.

Bairon likes this.