How to program the m4 without the arduino abstraction?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by asgard20032, Apr 22, 2016.

1. asgard20032

asgard20032 New Member

As the title say, How to program the m4 without the arduino abstraction?

In other word, I don't want to program it using arduino IDE/library. I want to know, how to setup compiler, upload to the main mcu, and if its possible, even use the freescale RTOS mqx/FreeRTOS. What is the .fw format? How to generate the .fw format from gcc or common IDE like keil, IAR, crossworks or Kinetis studio? Any linker script required? Any already writted linker script available?

Why? Because i like going low level, real time is more easy with interrupt capability/threading (RTOS). Doing simple thing in arduino is simple, but as the complexity increase, it become harder on arduino than bare metal because programming with lot of delay in a single thread as its limit.

I checked the documentation, and i didn't find any information on that. During the campaign on kickstarter, i asked if it would be possible to program it without arduino ide, and they said yes.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. tcmichals

tcmichals Member

3. asgard20032

asgard20032 New Member

I know .fw is some sort of binary and i can use udooneo-m4uploader to upload it, but how to generate it? Is .fw a renamed .bin? a renamed .elf? Absolutely no documentation at all on the m4 coprocessor for udoo.

4. tcmichals

tcmichals Member

It is binary, just rename.

5. radipta

radipta New Member

sorry for opening an old thread, but I have some error when using m4uploader. I used Kinetis Design Studio and project from this github : https://github.com/kamejoko80/my_osek
    I try to generate the bin file from this project, but when I upload it using m4uploader, it shows error.

So I was wondering what IDE did you use to generate the .fw or .bin file?