Is there a straightforward way of accessing the cortex M4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manuel Malagon, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Manuel Malagon

Manuel Malagon New Member

Hello everybody

First a little context for my question. I'm about to start working in a product that has the i.mx6soloX device. I'll be working particularly in the cortex M4 core with FreeRTOS. I was asked to get familiar with the device, basically to get a "hello world" project up and running in the Cortex M4. Since I'm new with this device and it actually have two cores I was wondering how easy or straightforward is to program and use the M4.

I mean for example with the kinetis processors I have the JTAG connector and I just connect my J-link to it and press debug in eclipse and that is pretty much it. So, does this device have a JTAG that I can use to connect to the cortex M4? Or how does this work?

Thank you very much for helping.

2. paulbearne

paulbearne New Member

Quick answer is yes the pads are on the bottom of the board , I have 2 Jlink's my old one only the A9 core but the newer one (about 12 months old) sees both cores this wasn't unexpected as i had the same problem with lpc dual core m4 + M0. if you have a look on nxp's site the solox um has details of the jtag and access.