New player in the game, How to play ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by batman_rising, May 30, 2016.

1. batman_rising

batman_rising New Member

Hi guys,

I am an Electronics and Communication engineer. Currently studying masters of electrical engineering.

I have made few academic projects using micro-controllers (8051,ATmega16) when I was doing my diploma and bachelors degree. I am an entry level programmer.

I came to know about UDOO just few days back. I would really like to learn this thing and expand my knowledge. I have no prior experience in Linux.

Please let me know what should I do to learn everything ? from where should i start ? How to do things ? Guide me please.

And one more thing, it says that UDOO is compatible with Arduino, that means if I make any program for arduino, can i execute it on UDOO board ?

please help me .

You can pretend that I am an blank slate, you can write anything on it. I am really interested to learn these thing. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Peace. :)

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear batman,
    UDOO X86, the board that is available right now on Kickstarter, is a computer. It can be used as a standard computer or you can use it to build something else. As a computer is exactly like any other computer: you attach it to a power supply, attach it to your monitor, attach it to a mouse and a keyboard and then you're done. You just have to install an Operating System of your choice and then you're ready to go.
    You can also use the board to build something else. If you click on "Projects" on this website you'll enter the Hackster.io website, where there are tons of projects.
    "And one more thing, it says that UDOO is compatible with Arduino, that means if I make any program for arduino, can i execute it on UDOO board? " It means that the microcontroller onboard can be used as an Arduino. "Any" is too optimistic. For what concerns UDOO QUAD and UDOO NEO they are not compatible with all the Arduino libraries you can find - many libraries will require a porting. For what concerns UDOO X86 it is supposed to work with any library.
    To start the best place is to go the UDOO website(www.udoo.org) and there to the session named Discover. Then go to the session named "Getting started" + the name of the board you are going to use. All the instructions are here.
    Since you are interested in Linux, the easiest, and IMHO also the most satisfying project you can do as your first project is to set up a coin-op like those in the good old days and to get it up and running with Lakka.TV.
    For what concerns physical computing, my suggestion instead is to firstly set up everything, then try to build an Arduino-based project. You can select a project from Hackster.io, or from tons of other similar websites, like Instructables or Hackaday.

3. batman_rising

batman_rising New Member

@Andrea Rovai , thanks brother for responding to the post.
    Yeah, when the first time i opened this site, I saw the UDOO X86, it seems to be an awesome board. Yesterday, after signing up and posting in this forum, I literally went to the product purchase page.
    But I found that UDOO X86 is not currently available, if I order at this moment, I might get it by November 2016 (Almost 5 months from today). So, according to you which should I purchase, if I want to learn about UDOO as well Arduino. Should I go for Neo or Dual/Quad ?
    And yea, thanks for sharing all those link on my other post. Thanks a lot. They seem to be very useful to me.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

You're welcome @batman_rising!
    If November is a too long wait, then I'd suggest you UDOO QUAD, the software is stable and UDOObuntu works fine.
    UDOO NEO is cool, but still has some problems.

batman_rising likes this.