Wall·E Robot - Questions

Discussion in 'Automation, Motors & Robotics' started by Antoni DS, May 17, 2016.

1. Antoni DS

Antoni DS New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm quite amateur in microcontrollers and after a long research I decided to use Udoo Neo to build my Wall·E robot using a toy body of him.

I open this post to talk question how build hardware and software related with Udoo board.

First of all, how could be controlled at same time:
    - 15 servomotors of motion (wheels, arms, neck, eyes, eyebrowns, etc) +
    - EasyVR 3 (voice command) +
    - Speaker to reproduce Wall·E sounds +
    - 10 leds (or display) for monitoring battery status +
    - 2 mini displays to create eyes expressions +
    - 1 Camera to recognize objects/faces +
    - 4 Ir sensors (ex: GP2Y0A21YK) to avoid fall and obstacles+
    - 1 temperature sensor (as extra data to improve emotions)

My first impression is that I would require 2 batteries (one for control and second for motors), aditional board to afford all 15 servomotors (every servomotor runs at 5v), and for all displays and camera use A9 processor while M4 is controlling light process (servomotors).

If someone wants to participate in our facebook group could acces to: Wall·E Electronics
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/790473184415755/

If do you want to see proyects that give us inspiration you can check:
    http://diymakers.es/wall-e/
    https://www.ez-robot.com/Community/Forum/Thread?threadId=5156

I hope that you could give some initial ideas and build step by step this emotional robot in free and open sharing proces to help also others to create new fascinationg robots.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Nice idea!
    I think it can all be done with the Neo exept the camera face recognition as that is not yet possible with the Neo. And I doubt it will ever be.
    You also have to take into account the 3.3V IO that the Neo can handle so your sensors and servo motor drivers have to be 3.3V complient. The drivers can output 5V to the motors.
    The 2 displays will also be an challenge as the Neo has only 1 HDMI output. So you have to use other interfaces (eg i2c) from the A9 side to show images.
    There is no sound output connector so you have to split it from the hdmi or use and external sound card (USB).

3. Antoni DS

Antoni DS New Member

Hi waltervl,
    Right now, voice recognition and sound output I thinking to use EasyVR 3 + one speaker of 8ohms.

My challange is motors... How use for example 7 of 15 motors at same time to reproduce a quite soft movement...
    Driver / drivers would need instructions from 3.3V I/O and driver / drivers would have to give 5v at XmA or XA to all motors at same time.
    At this point, a dedicated battery will be necessary to supply energy to all motors, but I don't find any prebuild board to have as 15 drivers to use motors at same time.
    You have any reference of brand or know any board that can afford so many motors? Or at least use like 2 boards at 8 drivers per board....

Display is another challange.
    Have to be 2 displays for eyes and maybe 1 for battery indicator (this one could be substitute by leds if is not possible do with display).
    Eyes must shows like two lines that represent mecanical parts inside Wall-e's eyes...
    This shows expression like anger, happy, romantic, etc...
    Maybe could be some way to replycate same image on both displays with any electronic inverter (mirror) for do 2n eye or use 2 ports from A9 as you said, but I'm still too amateur to imagine how to do it...

HDMI I prefer not to use, or reserve for acces to controls/memory of UDOO; like connect a screen to monitoring state of robot or any kind of stuff.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Motors depends on what you want to do. For moving arms, head, eyebrows etc small servo's will do and you can use this shield https://www.adafruit.com/products/1411
    For the main motors for moving around you will need bigger motors and current so you will need another board that can handle these.

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016