Are we allowed to overclock Udoo's CPU?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xinran, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Xinran

Xinran New Member

Hi,
    I don't have my Udoo yet. But I'm a little bit afraid of how much i.MX6 can do. And there are some topics are complaining about that.
    It is pretty hard for a cpu based on A9 to run Android 4.2.2 or Ubuntu. Especially running under 1080P. I think 1Ghz is pretty low even for ARM cpus. So it'll be great if we can overclock the cpu to 1.5Ghz or even higher. :)

Sorry for bad English skill ... My mother language is Chinese :oops:

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

There is still a HUGE amount of work being done by the UDOO team to optimize the software for performance. With that said, there have been some complaints regarding performance, but overall i haven't seen anything too bad. We all have to remember that while this device looks pretty hardcore on paper, it is still a SoB computer based on an ARM CPU. It will never be a full powered Desktop replacement. I personally think mine works great and i have worked with a handful of SoB computers like this to compare.

I do believe it will work great for its intended uses with makers, hackers and such also as media players, and small network servers.

Now regarding overclocking, i can't answer that, Im sure it's technically possible, but i will leave that to the UDOO team to actually comment on if we are allowed to (warranty reasons) and if so, how. Raspberry Pi built in an option win raspi-config to overclock. Maybe once UDOO builds their config tool they will have a similar option :) We are already seeing cool designs for cases with cooling fans and even talk about new, larger heatsinks that may support the higher temps of overclocking

3. Xinran

Xinran New Member

Thanks! Can't wait to get mine! :)

4. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Nothing official here, just my personal opinion, but I would love to see some OC and ingenious cooling tricks!

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

unofficially of course... but is there a way to change the clock speed? or will this require someone with indepth linux/ARM knowledge?
    I would be happy to work on the testing, measuring performance and thermal limits, i have lots of the test equipment seen by my other tests.

6. ags131

ags131 New Member

Changing clock speeds is a simple uboot variable from what ive messed with (Havent actually touched that variable yet)

7. Xinran

Xinran New Member

Setcpu is a tool to change the clock speed under android. It requires root before you can do anything with it. I think we need a special kernel to overclock. Because that's what I have to do to OC other CPUs under android phones. But the default kernel should be able to lower the clock speed, I guess.

8. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

well i dont want to do it under Android, but i will check out the clock speed stuff in uboot . I have a 4 day weekend (off work) so maybe i can get some more of this testing done and some results published for everyone