Battery for UDOO x86

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Piero78, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Piero78

Piero78 New Member

Hello, I want to use the UDOO x86 board in a small robot, for this purpose I need a battery to power the board.
    Can you suggest me a compatible battery for the board?
    Thanks.

2. Triodefreak

Triodefreak Active Member

How small is the robot. Any battery 12V will do....just depends on how long you want your robot to be "alive" Something like this will do: http://www.amazon.com/12V-3AH-Battery-VOLT-PS-1230/dp/B008B88X5M ...Not the brand obviously..since it only get one start. But 12V3Ah should keep the robot working for a couple of hours.

3. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

You need to think through a couple of requirements before you just use an unregulated battery source to power any CPU/controller PCB. And in addition with a robotics project, you will likely have to supply separate power for the servos.

With respect to the UDOO you will need to determine if the PCB has power regulation circuitry adequate to handle the power fluctuations of an unregulated battery source. You will also need to consider what type of battery you use (e.g. NiCd, Li-Ion, etc.) since each of these have requirements to safely control charge/discharge levels. This guide will help: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/whats_the_best_battery

With respect to the servos you will likely want to have a separate regulated battery power supply. This guide will help: https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/16-channel-pwm-servo-driver.pdf

I hope this information helps you get started.

William Jordan likes this.
  4. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

I was thinking of making the Udoo x86 battery powered for one of my projects as well but from what I understand the board draws 12v 3a, so if you attach a 12v 3ah(3000mah) battery the board would drain it in an hour.
    I've been thinking about buying a power bank with around 20000mah off Amazon that can supply 12v which would give me 5-6h of battery, actually almost 7 but you usually don't get as much as you think.
    The reason for buying a power bank and ripping it apart would be for the circuitry that would help keep the current constant, the recharging part most likely with overcharge protection and the possibility of getting outputs for other currents as well.

Skickat från min D6603 via Tapatalk

5. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

There are power banks available designed for laptops that have direct 12v (3-4a) outputs that can be used without modification. They are somewhat costly (https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-23000mAh-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B00HFMUBYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465367275&sr=8-1&keywords=power+bank+laptop ) and probably too big for most small robotics projects.

I have used 2 of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XC1WAQ6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to power a Mars Rover robotics project that used a Raspberry Pi via its USB port; and a separate PCA9685 16 Channel PWM servo driver circuit.

6. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

To bad that powerbanks can't be used when charging.

7. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

I think they call those UPS units. :rolleyes:

8. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

Of course they are called UPS. But those powerbanks are much smaller opposite to UPS.

9. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

Wouldn't it be quite easy to wire the device so that the power plug connects to both the power bank and the board, that way, if the power bank cut the power to its outlet, the board would still get power from the power supply.
    That way the powerbank would be charged and the device would still work, as long as the cable was connected. The problem would be when unplugging the cable though..

Edit: rephrased

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  10. Piero78

Piero78 New Member

Thanks to all for replies.
    My robot is very small and servos, sensors etc... will be attached to an Arduino board connected to an USB 3.0 port of the UDOO x86. The Arduino has a separate battery.
    I suppose a battery bank should be a good solution, but I need a battery with DC connector.

EDIT:
    This battery:
    https://www.amazon.it/XTPower®-MP-1...e=UTF8&qid=1465388129&sr=1-2&keywords=XTPower
    can be a good choice in your opinion?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  11. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

I'm not sure that it would work. The udoo x86 power supply outputs 12v 3a while that only provides 12v 2a..
    It might work but the board will not be able to power everything which will give you a lot of problems. I would recommend you to get one that provides 3a

12. Triodefreak

How about a Zendure powerbank. They have a "charge through" feature. So you can charge them while you use them. Then use a DC/DC converter to go to 12VDC

13. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

It is usually a good idea to use 2 batteries, 1 for the computer, and another for the high current motors. The computer battery is usually smaller, less current draw. The battery for the motors is usually larger, motors are current hogs, and will generate a lot of noise. Computer will not be happy if the noise gets large.

14. Piero78

Piero78 New Member

15. Triodefreak

Looks good!

16. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

17. toriless

toriless New Member

My 26800 mAh Akner does both at the same time and I suspect every model by them does. You are just out of date.

18. toriless

toriless New Member

12V battery pack cost a lot more then 5V ones at the same capacity and at 3 or 4 amps you re using as much power as laptop. It's a real power hog. The Pine64 uses only a fifth as much energy.

19. Triodefreak

I have three types of anker battery banks. In my life I've had four types of anker battery banks . None of them could be charged while used for charging.

[Edit] 5 types of Anker batteries.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  20. toriless

toriless New Member

No, UPS are always charging.