Case Design (Poll to help me decide where to go next.)

Discussion in 'Cases' started by kintera, Oct 30, 2013.

?

What Feature to add next or change.

1. Grommets for I/O holes.

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Develop Mount system.

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. 3.5 Hdd mount ability.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Work on vesa system

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. kintera

kintera New Member

This is a case design I have been working on about a week now I am currently on thermal testing I am 3d Printing REV 0.3 with the large holes so I can
    Tape off holes and test how many holes i need for thermal relief and better determine changes needed for REV 0.4. As all previous revs have been done in foam this will be the first mechanically stable rev produced as well as complete.

Design goals of the case:

*keeping the case Simple functional but at the same time visually appealing.
    *Sata 2.5 hdd mount spot.
    *40 mm fan mount.
    *Modular design ( this will be better seen at later on in the project)

Personal touches:
    *Clear acrylic top so one can see the inner workings (personal thing I love the look of electronics)
    *laser cut acrylics for high precision.

Please keep in mind this design is currently a work in progress and it is more in its mechanical design phase and I will be going back to clean things up and make things pretty. When this get close to complete i will release my design files and STL's so you can make your own versions of them.

Link to Autodek 360 REV 0.31:

Exploded View:http://a360.co/1dWnIWG

Assembled view: http://a360.co/19WocYN

Link to REV 0.3 Version Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/Kc8NS#0

Old Revs:
    Link to REV 0.2 Version Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/yjPGH#0

Goals for REV 0.3:

*finish top plate with fan mount (Completed)
    *model screws and indentations for screws. (moved to rev 0.4)
    *vent Holes For SATA bay (Thanks Lifeboat_Jim From the #udoo IRC For the input) (completed)
    *Holes for routing cables in and out of the box (completed)
    *your Input is welcome. (Looking for more)

Goals REV 0.4:

*model screws and indentations for screws.
    *Modular mount system design
    *your Input is welcome

Goals Rev 0.5:

*Filters for fan mounts

Later Goals:
    *Vesa Mount
    *Modular multi mount for items like battery
    *Camera mount system
    *USB mount system for internal Maybe root hub

2. jaeg

jaeg Member

Re: Case Design

I love it. My only suggestion is a place for a small fan to be mounted to.

3. kintera

kintera New Member

Fan Mount is in current design flow as mentioned earlier in the post.

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

Nice! Sign me up for one when you're done! Yeah, some air slots on the bottom to pull in cool air across the hard drive would be good... maybe slots under the udoo as well to pull that cool air up past the udoo as well...

Remember to make knockouts on the top so we can get access to the arduino's IO pins or the other ports if we want them... Also, you might want to consider an extra USB knockout on one of the sides (there's an extra USB port that can be wired up on the board)

5. Kris

Kris Member

That's pretty cool looking. If I had access to a laser cutter, I'd definitely do something similar. Removing the support material for all the openings on my top case is a real pita.

6. kintera

kintera New Member

I am planning to machine my case in a 4 axis CNC mill but I can also 3d print it as my campus has a full Stratus system including liquid bath to remove support material.

7. jaeg

jaeg Member

Doh, how'd I skim over that? Sorry

8. kintera

kintera New Member

Re: Case Design Updated 10/31/2013

Its all good Jaeg. we all have those days.

9. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Some thoughts/feedback on v0.3

Airflow ought to move over the hottest parts, ideally with a single path of air over them. With that in mind...
    • * Therefore I would suggest the the fan goes on the left hand side where the three largest vertical vents are.
    • * Reduce small vents on right hand side from 11 down to 6 (IE leave the 6 directly opposite the heatsinks).
    • * If possible have some sort arrangement of perforated walls to hold a small piece of form/sponge to act as a dust filter over the 6 vents.
    • * Remove vents on far/top side of main case.
    • * Remove large vents at bottom of main case.
    • * Remove large vents at bottom of HDD compartment and put them on the left hand side (under new fan position) - will there be a small gap all around the disk to allow air to flow past?.
    • * Fill in the holes in the UDOO logo.
    It doesn't have to be perfect and the fan doesn't need to go fast (the internal volume of the case is small after all). It's just to ensure heat doesn't build up and move it over the hottest parts.

I assume having less vents makes the case simpler and stronger, although it probably doesn't impact on cost (I see many 3D bureaux charge volumetrically rather than by materials).

10. kintera

kintera New Member

Than k for the input Life boat Rev 3 i will be printing with a 3d printer with large holes so that i can then use tape to cut smaller holes into it and do thermal testing with as its easier to test thermal by taping things off then closing things off. As for air flow around the sides there is only .5 mm gap there sono much. as for logo for the udoo logo it is not holes it is decales to be set as a laser etch not a cut. Also I bought 2 fans so i plan to use to fans in this case on from directly down on top of the system and one from the side. i just haven't modeled the other fan in yet. Once i finish thermal tests I will go from there.

11. kintera

kintera New Member

Re: Case Design Updated 10/31/2013 (Now With A360 views)

This case is Printing current REV now I will update soon with pictures of the process and test procedures.

12. Kris

Kris Member

It looks like you've made the case a bit longer in your revisions to fit the hard drive. Do you think you have enough room for the extra length due to the Sata connectors ? With my last revision, I put the cables outside the box, but I'm thinking of moving them inside and switching from a single blower fan to dual exhaust fans.

I'm curious what you're planning to do with your Udoo since it looks like you're going to try to squeeze any Arduino expansion boards inside the case.

13. kintera

kintera New Member

Kris i did measurement with calipers there should be enough room including cable bends for the drive to pass through to the upper shell and yes i did have to increase the shell size as i underestimated the size on rev 0.2 nice eye. REV 0.2 was more me fleshing out all the main ideas REV 0.3 was nailing it all down and checking it all out.

I went to a High body to allow shields internally if people wanted them enclosed as well as to keep damage to pin cable limited.

As for fans I am 3d printing the current REV to do thermal tests i have 2 40 mm fans to test with. I will be taping and cutting holes to find the right balance of holes and fan and go from there.

14. kintera

kintera New Member

Current Status update:

Status of current Rev:
    Printed And awaiting parts to arrive for testing.
    See album for pictures of status. (Will update album as I get pictures. last updated 11/3/2013 -19:13 AZ time(we don't do DST here))
    http://imgur.com/a/ctsjX#0

Rev 0.5 will include filters for fans and add multiple fan point (locations to be determined during the rev 0.3 thermal tests.)
    current rev is almost done so I can check physical dimensions.

15. kintera

kintera New Member

Help me Decide where to go Next while I tweak this design Vote in the Poll.

16. ji11x38

ji11x38 New Member

sounds great! but for some reason i cant take a look at the pictures... could you upload some pics in the forum?

17. mkopack

mkopack Member

Looking great! 1 suggestion - make the hole for routing the SATA power+data cables through a little larger (could be a bit tight for some cable configurations).

Otherwise, hurry up and start selling them man! :) Or rather "COME TAKE MY MONEY!!!!"

18. firehopper

firehopper Member

so are stl files of this case available? I'm almost done with my 3d printer build powered by a udoo :)

19. grandma

grandma New Member

Now that's one nice case! Will you be selling these in the future?

20. mkopack

mkopack Member

Hate to say it, but haven't seen or heard from Kintera since he posted back in mid December. Hope everything is ok or that he just got busy and hasn't had time to pop back in.