Newbie Question

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by MrRojan, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MrRojan

MrRojan New Member

Hello

I'm ultra new to this whole maker board thing so bare with me. I would like to do something (relatively easy?) basic with the Udoo. I would want to create a little mini retro gaming pc. I was thinking of probably attaching it to the back of a monitor and installing Wins 10 on it. If anyone has any guides to do this or similar projects ideas/suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Rojan

Bashaar Khan and Andrea Rovai like this.
  2. I Hate Google!

I Hate Google! New Member

Win10 is really a non-starter except perhaps on the newest x86 board.

For a retro gaming PC you can get lots of solutions for the Linux and Android operating system. Retroarch is a great place to start.

3. Triodefreak

Triodefreak Active Member

Any of the X86 boards would be ideal for this. W10 works like a charm on it.

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there @MrRojan, and welcome in the forum!
    Here's how I'd do it:
    • Software side, I'd use Lakka.TV. The cool thing of LakkaTV is that everything's already ready (sorry for the play on words). You just have to follow the instructions in this page, which are the general instructions for a PC with Windows running.
    • Hardware side (with hardware I'm meaning the cabinet) I'd take a look at this supercool project on Instructables that will walk you through the actual build of the cabinet
    Otherwise, if you're not going for LakkaTV then search for another retrogaming platform, there are tons of them. Since UDOO X86 is a true x86 desktop PC and not an ARM single board computer googling for information is far easier. Imagine to do it for your standard desktop PC and will work out on UDOO X86 too.

5. SJO

SJO New Member

Great.. Lakka.TV is really cool.

Andrea Rovai likes this.