New cases - dual fans & HDD options - v2.0 updated Nov.28th

Discussion in 'Cases' started by Kris, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Kris

Kris Member

Re: Created new cases - open to feedback - design updated Oc

it should definitely read in dxf and dwg files. That's what I used to double check the measuring feature. It wouldn't be the first time they crippled their software 'tho. I often have to hit the lab to use the full version because my academic licence has some finicky restriction.

2. Barobrand

Barobrand New Member

Hiho, (from a newcomer)
    Cool concept to build/print a case. ;)
    Are there plans to make a larger number of them?
    A nice case would be good.

cheers B.

3. lhl

lhl New Member

Hey Kris, great work on the case, just printed the bottom out from the STL on a Replicator 2 and my Quad fits great in there.

I printed it w/ supports, which worked out, but if you're making a rev, I think that having it lain down horizontally (or at least flipped so the wall is on the bottom would make it a lot easier to print.

PS that Cussigh98 is a real jerk, huh? I can't figure out what his deal is, is he trolling?

4. shaneaus

shaneaus New Member

@kris - just purchased a 3d printer from Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu- ... y-3d-print).

Can you recommend some software that isn't too expensive to design with (100.00 or less)? I saw a program called 3DS Max that looked promising...

Looking forward to your case being one of the first things I print!

5. Kris

Kris Member

One of my professors just ordered up a couple of the QU-BD's. They certainly are inexpensive. If you're on a tight budget and aren't eligible for the student versions of some of the better packages, you'll probably want to start with Google Sketch-up. It's free and a lot more user friendly than Openscad (unless you're planning to do math-based art). I think 3DS Max is about $3-4k and it's intended more for movie or game animation.
    http://www.sketchup.com/download (the Pro version is paid, but the basic version is free for non-commercial uses).

6. Kris

Kris Member

- Oct.30 update - Changed front panel so half of openings is on bottom and half on top, this should eliminate the need to use support material making for some cleaner prints. Also enlarged the port openings around the micro-USB slots to improve cable fitment. Added optional base with 40mm fan mount.

- Oct.31 update - Added rudimentary 2.5" (laptop) HDD holder and new case bottom with fan mount and vent hole to let some of the fan air down into the HDD space. Will need to do a complete redesign to move the cables internal and reduce the fan footprint. With a SATA HDD, accessing the microsd won't be as necessary.

Got some 5V, 40mm cooling fans from Digikey that I'm going to incorporate into the design next.
    http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=26&y=12&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=259-1575-ND

*** base with 40mm fan mount added, but will require removing fan to access microsd card slot each time. Still looking for a better placement.

7. kintera

kintera New Member

Re: New cases - 40mm fan & HDD options added - updated Oct.3

Let me see the updated renders when you get a chance. I'd love to see where you are.

8. Xykon

Xykon Member

I haven't had a chance to look at the latest files but just wanted to suggest making sure the sata hdd slot is big enough for common SSD drives which are usually slightly bigger than a traditional HDD. I have some 16GB SSDs around which would be perfect for the UDOO and you'd also not have to worry about heat as much as you'd have with traditional disks.

9. firehopper

firehopper Member

I'd still have a way for airflow on the hd/ssd slots anyway :)

10. Kris

Kris Member

Do you have some dimensions for these larger SSD's ? Traditional 2.5" HDD (9mm) are typically larger than modern SSD's (7mm), but the older SSD's were all the same size as their magnetic platter counterparts. I know the actual heights are more like 9.2mm and 7.2mm, , but length and width is pretty well standardized.

Version 2.0 is in the works right now, should have something up tonight.

11. kintera

kintera New Member

I'd suggest shooting for 9.5 for tolerance and air gap. What CAD package are you using just curious.

12. Kris

Kris Member

Just uploaded version 2.0 to Thingiverse. Ended up extending the HDD space to over 12mm tall because I needed a minimum overall height of 40mm for the
    dual exhaust fans.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:172397

Everything is setup for easy printing, but I probably won't have time to actually test it for myself until a bit later this week. I left a bit more clearance this time vs. the earlier designs, so everything should fit even better and there should be no need for any support material while printing, but retraction will definitely help.

- enjoy :D

13. mkopack

mkopack Member

Re: New cases - dual fans & HDD options added - updated Nov.

One concern - not enough room to get the SATA data cable in there... If we go with a 90 degree then it might not fit clearance (haven't checked). A straight one certainly won't have enough room to plug in and still get the top of the case on.

14. Kris

Kris Member

I didn't expect a standard straight connector to fit on the top (does in the hdd enclosure), but looking at the mechanical drawings again, I think you're correct about the right angle cable crashing into the board.
    Does anyone know if the Dual-core processor/board supports sata drives and if it's merely missing the connector ? My Quad hasn't arrived yet so I wouldn't mind experimenting with soldering a sata cable to the connector pads.

15. mkopack

mkopack Member

I think we confirmed that the chip itself supports it, and we assume that the circuitboards are identical between the units (just would make sense from a cost perspective to use common boards) but no confirmation on that.

I HAVE seen some SATA data cables that go 90 degrees to the SIDE (to the thin sides, not the thick like most do) but those are much less common.

Anyhow, just suggesting you consider the mechanical aspects. Otherwise, I'd say your case looks great, particularly for say a Dual unit that doesn't have to deal with SATA...

16. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

Wondering why the need for two fans and where they would get mounted on the case. Unclear from pix.

thx,
    /v

17. Kris

Kris Member

The two fans fit on the end of the box opposite the side with the microsd slot and power/reset buttons. Two fans would probably be overkill if the board layout was more conducive to airflow. or if there was enough space to place a pusher fan above the heat sink without intruding on the space for Arduino add-on boards.
    I still need to sort out either a low profile connector for the sata plug or determine how easily a sata wire can be soldered to the motherboard header or else minimizing the footprint of the case will be for naught.

edit: added new top with some extra openings and venting. Should be ok for passive cooling &/or giving the sata cable some room until I come up with a better solution.

Attached Files:

18. shaneaus

shaneaus New Member

Sweet! Nice design. I ordered a quad and I'm hoping this will work out with a sata drive!!!

19. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

for cooling purposes wouldn't it make more sense to have at least 1 fan on the SAME side as the microSD card side? i know this is probably inconvenient but if you put it on the other side the back row of headers will block any real air flow. Have the fan(s) connected with clips vs screws it would still be easy to get in and replace the sd card.

I would say flip the fans to the other side and use the UDOO logo, smaller along the shorter axis ) over the SAM3X8 chip to double as the exhaust This would still allow exhausting when using R3 style Shields. Adding a second fan would be cool to help cooling for the WiFi adapter side, but probably not required and will cut of access to those switches. With a case that sits right on top of the headers (which it needs to in order to use shields) so airflow would be segmented by the existing cooling fins and header pins.

(sorry if this has already been brought up, i havent followed the whole thread)

20. Kris

Kris Member

The previous version, 1.2, is setup this way. The downside is obviously the needing to unscrew the fan to access the microsd card and the extra length it adds to the case. My Dual doesn't throw off a lot of heat, so I'll have to wait for the Quad to show up so I can do some thermal testing with both designs and determine which way to go.

I'm really more concerned with finding a low profile sata connector for the motherboard side of things. Otherwise the next re-design may be to move the fans and my expansion boards internal to the case more like Kasey's design.