Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by calgarykev, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Clearly there are stability issues with the Android build. I did manage to play around with the Linux build last night and the hardware is behaving as expected and I didn't encounter any functionality issues. The gpu appears to be doing its thing and I/o work. But that's Linux, I'm still doa without a stable Android build and it just a matter of which comes first, the larger sd card or the next (smaller) android image. I realize this is a rev1 situation and the majority of effort to date has gone into the h/w so I'm setting expectations accordingly. If android works and is stable and if I can actually load and execute programs in the Arduino world, this had the potential to be a killer product. So, optimistically, I'm hopeful. In the mean time, it looks cool.

2. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

New 1.1 image out now. ESFileExplorer preloaded. Awesome! That will definitely help. :)

3. MrJunix

MrJunix New Member

Can someone please unlock the android section so that we can create separate topics for separate issues?

4. MrJunix

MrJunix New Member

Can you add a section to the UDOO Starting manual for Creating an Android bootable microSD card: The Hard Way?

Is there a git project for the Android OS on the UDOO?

5. iByte

iByte New Member

The new image loaded fine to my smaller 8GB MicroSD. FYI I do see some of the reported issues in the browser.

Glenn

6. SoundChaos

SoundChaos New Member

I set up the new image, I love that the file manager is included now, but the browser still can't seem to determine where to download anything to, as it crashes immediately upon clicking any download link.
    Android seems very slow overall also, especially compared to tablets and phones with identical specs running the same OS.
    Anyone have any tips or tricks to work around some of these issues until more refined software updates get released from the UDOO team?

7. chiefwigms

chiefwigms New Member

Loaded 1.1 - bluetooth still doesn't work... I completely understand that this is brand new hardware, but the fact that bluetooth and android are touted as key features and they don't work is a little ridiculous

8. killkrt

killkrt New Member

I set up the new image (1.1), but it seems that audio is not working. :cry:
    Do you know if there is some hack/trick to get it work?

Thank you.

9. mig

mig New Member

Is anyone else experiencing an error with extracting the 1.1 sd image from .zip?

I tried both of the images from the EU mirror and SourceForge and it tells me i need 734 PB of extra space to extract it.

When I open the .zip archive in Windows Explorer, the size of the .iso is listed as 807,167,508,388,046 KB.

10. -TB-

-TB- New Member

Didn't see a way to create a new post, so I guess I'll put it here.

Using Android with 1.1 Image:
    - Installed the Google Play 4.4.21 apk and it just auto closes every time you start it.
    - Videos don't play correctly at all, they play like they are skippy and being fast forwarded. I've tested with YouTube on the browser, Netflix, and a .mp4 file.
    - There is no sound from HDMI or the headphone jack.
    - Bluetooth doesn't activate, The light on the dongle is on, but when you try to push the android button to turn it on, it thinks about it and just goes back to off.
    - OTG doesn't work despite following the manual. The manual states use CN3 and to put the jumper on J2, which it came that away but still no connection is made. Also, you're manual's diagram is very contradicting on this subject; referring to page 19 and 20; The 2 diagrams talking about this subject, one shows a connection to the microcontroller and the other diagram shows a connection to CN3 while both of these diagram show that there's is a jumper on J2 to enable bus power supple. The lack of OTG connection is a killer for me right now, as I require this to install my application.
    - The browser constantly crashes and nothing can be downloaded with it.
    - Performance is not very good(using the quad board), browser takes a while to load any page and apps take quite some time to boot and transition.

11. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

-TB- .. Welcome.. i will add a few comments for the things i know..

New members have new posts moderated, im sure the UDOO guys will get you marked very soon for new threads

* The UDOO can NOT run any of the GApps at this time. UDOO has to be certified before they will work, UDOO Team is working on this but we dont have any further details
    * HDMI sounds i think is a known issue that has been resolved in the next android build
    * Your experience with the browser seems to be mixed your not the first person to raise concerns with its stability, yet others have said its ok. I think this will likely be on the UDOO Teams todo list.
    * As for overall performance, for both Linux and Android, there is a lot of work going into the software side now to get things improved. The community has been working really well together and even solving issues and providing fixes before the UDOO Guys can get to them.

Keep posting your bugs, fixes and experiences and im sure it will help the team overall
    Sorry i couldn't be of any direct help.

12. iByte

iByte New Member

I am new to android devices. Since OTG doesn't seem to be working for us at the moment what alternatives are there to get apk's installed on the system?

Thanks

Glenn

13. -TB-

-TB- New Member

Google the apk you want to download, and put it onto a flash drive. Put the flash drive into one of the USB ports on the Udoo and open up the ES File Explorer App. You'll see several folders, I found my flash drive files in a folder called udisk.

14. iByte

iByte New Member

Thanks TB

15. Xanatos

Xanatos UDOOer

Bugs with Android 1.1:
    -Android On Screen Keyboard is not shown when using a Logitech Unified Receiver dongle. This is because both keyboards and mice can be connected to the receiver. Currently I'm just using mouse only so the on screen keyboard is a must.
    -Information in About Tablet -> Status is not showing up. This includes MAC Address, Network Type, Network, and Serial Number

16. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Xanatos we'll try and fix the problem before we release the Android 1.2 image.

17. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

Hi

Remember If you need working with external OTG port (connected to PC through ADB) you have to enable it by set the connected flag into Android settings panel, Debug section.

18. -TB-

-TB- New Member

Is there an ETA for 1.2?

19. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

we were expecting it at least a week ago, but i think they are still working on the next release of android and Linaro.
    I haven't seen any further expectations to release date.

20. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Not yet, we're working on it!