Using stepper motors with Udoo Neo

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Gonzalo Calandria, Oct 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gonzalo Calandria

Gonzalo Calandria New Member

I'm new with electronics and with udoo neo and i have a question about stepper motors.
    Do i need a stepping stepper motor driver like the one in the image bellow to make it work?
    I'm trying to make a CNC from an arduino uno project and that project uses three stepper motor drivers so i want to know if i need those having the Udoo NEO board or if the board bring that on the board (i don't understand too much the "9-axis motion sensors" that are embedded).
    upload_2016-10-12_23-31-31.png
    This is the project i want to make

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The Arduino side of the Neo does not have a stepper module *Edit* like all other Arduino's don't have a stepper module. So you will need one.

The 9 axis motion sensor is a sensor that measures movement of the board itself. It cannot drive motors. You can use this for example when you mount your board on a robot, drone or segway clone.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. Gonzalo Calandria

@waltervl Thanks for your response!
    Another question.. what do you mean with "...a stepper module like all other Arduino's"? you mean that there is an arduino that came with a stepper module?

Regards,
    Gonzalo.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I wanted to say that to my knowledge there is no Arduino with a build in stepper module.

5. Cyril BOSSELUT

Cyril BOSSELUT New Member

Hi,
    you must isolate motor power from UDOO power so a driver is mandatory. You can use 4 NPN MOSFETs, an ULN2003 (Darlington) or a driver board like the A4988 or the DRV8825. You will need to use 4 pins on your board (6 if you want to enable microstepping) plus 5V and GND. Here's an example:
    [​IMG]

Andrea Rovai and waltervl like this.
  6. Gonzalo Calandria

Awesome! thanks!!