Android bugs

Discussion in 'Android' started by iddqd, Oct 20, 2016.

?

Are you satisfied with Android experience?

1. Yes

16.7%
  2. Yes, but it can be better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

50.0%
  4. No No No

33.3%
  1. iddqd

iddqd Member

Hello again @Francesco, @Andrea Rovai and other developers and users.
    Let's talk here about usability of your Android builds.
    Here I will describe my troubles with android builds.
    Firstly I wil tell you about my hardware. I have:
    • Udoo Quad board rev.D
    • SanDisk Extreme SDhc UHS Speed Class 1
    • Samsung 720p connected with HDMI cable
    I am not developer so I will make review from customer point of view.
    Today I will test Android builds.
    Firstly I download ANDROID 4.4.2 KITKAT - Release Date: 2015-01-28 - Release Version: 4.4.2-1.0 (old enough, but it is the latest of official android build ;) )
    I switch resolution to 1280x720 (actually I need 1024x768, but it automatically switches to 720p) with the following command found in manual:
    setenv bootargs console=ttymxc1,115200 init=/init video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1024x768M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32 video=mxcfb1:eek:ff video=mxcfb2:eek:ff fbmem=28M vmalloc=400M androidboot.console=ttymxc1 androidboot.hardware=freescale mem=1024M

How can I get 1024x600 (best) or 1024x768 resolution?
    I notice red board around the screen when board lags. How can I disable that behaviour?

I boot up board go to menu, launch browser. Interface works smooth and I experience no problems. [del] I switch Android to ART from dalvik.[/del] (switched back again)
    Next I decide to install gapps with this manual, and login to my account
    After that board begins to lag, but i think that because of background updates of gapps so not the problem.
    I install youtube, try to launch it and...interface hangs, adb works without problem. I reboot it, launh youtube and try to playback first video. It's lagging sometimes and overall picture is not so smooth. After swithcing to full screen lags appears more noticeble. I get sound synchronisation problems and overall slowdown of interface.
    Next I install google maps. Try to launch it. After couple of minutes maps (o_O) maps launches and...board hangs again like earlier. I reboot it.
    After reboot I launch maps again. This time successfully. Performance was pretty good, but then it begins to lag and i was kicked off to homescreen.
    After few attempts I decided to go back to dalvik.

After reboot I try google maps - it works and youtube - works too (performance wasn't get better).
    Install angry birds 2 - get lags and haven't sound at all.
    Then-menu-lags-choose audio to hdmi (it was hdmi but I click hdmi again) and get sounds back ))
    Two videos included:

Not too bad and I try to use it later without gapps, maybe it would run smoother (I hope), but unexpected hangouts and kick offs from application is irritating

Let's go to ANDROID 6.0.1 MARSHMALLOW - Release Date: 2016-07-20 - Release Version: 6.0.1 Beta
    Firstly - I can't switch hdmi resolution from 1080p. If I try to enter same command as above I get bootloop. How can I switch resolution?
    Next - I would like to know what options should I install in developers options for better performance?

I will try to use it whithout gapps because my previous experience with gapps was terrible.
    Even without gapps performance in launcher is much worse that was in 4.4.
    I download several apps and notice that installation became significantly slower too.
    I launch Yandex maps and after 20 seconds it freeze. Cursor lags. Next I was kicked off from app.
    I tried several other apps with variable success.
    Overall performance of the system is murch worse and lags is annoying. No video today because it's too late already.
    To be continued...

And one small quote from your Kickstarter campaign:
    "Running Android
    Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich runs smootly on UDOO giving you all the features of an Android device (further Android releases will be available at the time of distribution)."

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. iddqd

iddqd Member

Video from Anddroid 6.0 without gapps

3. iddqd

iddqd Member

Android 6 with gapps.
    I install poweramp and google maps.
    In quiet song I notice noises but my board is connected through hdmi and it couldn't be interference.
    Google maps is almost unusable and sound lags sometimes. At the end google maps crashes and someway disable audio so I reenabled it in settings.

4. iddqd

iddqd Member

Today I test android 4.4 without gapps.
    I install poweramp from The performance is pretty good, sound isn't lag and yandex maps works without issues.
    My trouble is that I have 1024x600 screen and I set 800x600 resolution, because of it I haven't onscreen home-back-apps keys and it is very inconvenient.
    So where in android sources I can make changes to add 1024x600 resolution?

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi @iddqd, I appreciate the user report you've written - I've voted Yes, but since I'm part of the staff my vote is not important (also, I had to vote something to see the results).
    For what concerns Gapps, in the documentation is clearly written that Gapps make the experience worse, there's even a Heads up.
    Anyway, please, concentrate your efforts on Android 6, not on Android Kitkat. We don't support Kitkat anymore now that we are developing Marshmallow.
    For your question related to the resolution, please open a new topic, or this topic will become all focused on this.

6. iddqd

iddqd Member

Today I install 6.0 r1 without gapss.
    User interface is not so smooth, but maybe it is because of 1080p resolution in interface instead of 720p in Android 4.4.
    Anyway device works significantly slowly than on KitKat.
    I tested poweramp again and seems like that problem with noise on quiet songs was gone.