[Android] Can't USB direct connect to Neo.

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by 762SPR, Oct 20, 2016.

1. 762SPR

762SPR New Member

I'm trying to get my neo to usb connect to my windows 10 laptop. The laptop automatically installs it as a MTP USB device/portable device. I can see it in explorer as a media device udooneo-mx6sx, although it doesn't show any files.

In device manager, it shows up under portable devices, but there is no list item for other devices /rndis kit.

I have bonjour installed. My browser times out when I try to connect to the device...

Is there another way to get this working?

2. 762SPR

762SPR New Member

Update: Apparently, my problem was due to me using the android OS. I re flashed my SD card to use the udoobunto OS, and the RNDIS device appeared like in the instructions and I got it working.

I have to say so far I'm very disappointed with my UDOO NEO board so far. It is advertised as being able to run linux or android. But there is no mention that you can't connect to it if you are running android, and apparently, judging by this thread http://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/programming-arduino-sketch-android-app.5026/ I can't even use android and arduino! (also not mentioned) Very frustrating to find all this out after purchasing the board and peripherals!!!

3. cobalt300z

cobalt300z New Member

This is my issue as well. I have a Win 10 Desktop. Every time i connect the Neo board it connects as a MTP device. I created this thread here for my original concern. So far, i have tried setting the device in RNDIS. My computer recognizes it and installs the correct drivers but i still cannot connect to it. In my Network connections it shows the device as a possible network connection but it says the cable is unplugged.

I have also spun up several VM's of Ubuntu 10.4 Lubuntu and Windows 7 to no avail.

Ubuntu doesn't even recognize it.

My biggest frustration is that they tout that it can run android no problem, too bad you cant connect to it or do anything with it. How about instead of having a old ass link to the GAPPS on your site, why dont they actually link you to the open gapps site for Marshmellow. Oh wait, they do. in the DUAL/Quad section. As a neo user, why would I look in another products how to guide to get current/relevant information?

They should remove all documentation about configuring Neo to run Marshmellow on Windows and start over because it is years outdated.

4. cobalt300z

cobalt300z New Member

To get it useable, I bought a Micro Hdmi (D) to HDMI cable and plugged it into my monitor, then i plugged in a mouse to the USB. Now i can navigate around Android to attempt to get it useable.

5. 762SPR

762SPR New Member

I didn't mess around much with android once I found out it can't work with arduino. Is there an equivalent to the device tree editor in the android install? Or is there some way to configure the GPIO pins for android use?

Otherwise, it looks like we are stuck with a basic android device, which I guess is ok if you don't plan on using it with any external hardware, but that's NOT why I purchased this board! I need GPIO and CAN access!

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@762SPR Did you check the performance of Neo Android when connected to a monitor? In Linux the desktop performance is comparable with a first model Raspberry Pi so not very well. But the Neo is not designed for desktop performance. It is designed as IoT device where desktop performance is less relevant. See also the warning in the documentation (will add link later).
    Are you going to use the Neo with or without a connected display?
    Edit: link to warning http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Getting_Started/Use_as_a_Lightweight_Desktop_PC.html

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  7. 762SPR

762SPR New Member

My intended use is as a single app embedded device with a display/touchscreen that will send and receive on a CAN bus. I would like to run android because I'm familiar with it, and it would make programming the user interface much easier for me. I'm not really interested in desktop performance, because the user would be locked to a single app. In fact the more unnecessary stuff I can cut down on the better for boot time.

I went with the neo vs the dual/ quad because on the product page is says there are two can ports and it doesn't mention anything on the dual/quad page. Although I just looked at the pinout and it looks like there is a single port on there. I guess I could always add a second one via the arduino interface since it actually works with android on that board.

I guess I should have bought the dual/quad, but I'm reluctant to spend another $135 and take the chance of ending up with another board that won't work the way I want it to...

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

9. 762SPR

762SPR New Member

Yes, like I said on my last post, that's why I went with the NEO vs. the dual/quad. I need the two CAN bus interfaces so I chose the NEO.

Unfortunately being new to all of this, I didn't realize there wouldn't be any information on how to configure the pins to be CAN bus with android and read from them. I'm sure it is possible, I just don't know how and can't find any documentation on it. My background is high level user space programming for android apps in Java, so configuring the hardware and mucking around with the kernel is a little over my head without a good write up...

10. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Hi guys, please open different thread instead of a big one with different problems. Otherwise it quite hard to reply.

USB connections works differently on Linux and Android. On Linux you get RNDIS and SD card access. On Android you get the default access that AOSP provides. Maybe something different could be implemented easily. What would you like to get?

About Android. OS image is still incomplete, that's why you have no M4, no device tree editor, no OpenGapps in docs. That's my current priority! There are some workarounds for those issues. Please le'ts keep this thread only for USB direct connection issues and le'ts discuss other issues separately. Thank you!

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  12. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Hi guys. Came back to the lab. I have verified that connecting a Neo to my computer, the connection is established as "USB for charging". That's the default behaviour for Android (for security). Just click on the USB notification and select "File transfers" to mount the data partition on your computer.

If you have more issues related to this, please explain the issue. For further issues please open separate threads. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
    Andrea Rovai likes this.