Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delba, May 8, 2013.

1. Phatdaro

Phatdaro New Member

Hi there,

i'm from Germany and received my Udoo Quad yesterday.

i'm a software engineer working mostly with SCADA systems.
    Besides iam using C# with the mono-framework on different systems.

At the moment i have 2 raspberry pi, 1 cubieboard and now new in the team my lovely Udoo quad.

Hope we all will have fun with this new little toy.
    Greetings

2. kenr

kenr New Member

Hi
    My name is Ken Rainsforth. I'm a retired computer professional (68) and have used most OS's and Arduino. I'm both hardware and software experienced.
    I have now received my Quad and have got most things working (bought 1920 hdmi screen to get display working).
    I'm having a problem with wifi, in that it is locking all other computers on my router from accessing the web and I cannot get web access in either Ubuntu or Android. Powering down Udoo restores all other computers on my network to the web. Ergo the problem is coming from Udoo. Tried connecting with cable, same issues. Have connected both wifi and cable successfully to my router (clock updates in Android OK).
    I'm also having issues with keyborads.
    I would like to create a posts on the forum for this issue but do not appear to have any rights to add posts.
    Can this be changed.
    I appreciate these are early days and I don't mind resolving issues with the community.
    Ken

3. rx22

rx22 New Member

Hi Evrybody,
    I'm Erix and I'm interested in ARM mini computer and trying doing many things with them.
    I think I will but the Quad one, but before I need to find answers to my questions.

Have a nice day
    Regards
    Erix

4. dsuliman

dsuliman New Member

Hi,

I'm Daniel from Indonesia. I'm really newbie to all of these things. And I'm looking forward to learn new thing with this new baby.

REgards

5. Bela

Bela Member

Hello.

My name is Gianluca and I'm from Italy. I've received my Udoo around 1 week ago.
    I'm really happy, but there are 2/3 issues that I hope will be fixed.
    I'm still attending the secondary school and I'm studing electronic.
    I'm using my Udoo as a media-center at home, and as a "project station" at school , since we do a lot of stuff related with robots.

Greetings

6. C. H. Batchelor

C. H. Batchelor New Member

Hello,

I am interested in designing and building prototypes of devices to assist differently-able people. I hope to have these devices manufactured and brought to market.

7. tooblippe

tooblippe New Member

Hi,

I am a hacker from South-Africa. Excited to play with Udoo.....

Tobie

8. imouro

imouro New Member

Hi

My name is Ivan and I'm from Spain. I've received my udoo around 1 week ago.

I worked for almost two years with arduino. Currently I control fully automated aquarium arduino.

I want to make a more ambitious project with this wonderful Udoo.

Greetings!

9. penguinism

penguinism New Member

Hi all, just plugged in my Kickstarter UDOO Quad for the first time and am having issues with WiFi. I would like to post to the troubleshooting board but it seems I have to get a reply approved first.

So, hi everyone! UDOO seems super awesome. I just got a MiiPC also from Kickstarter and I was really underwhelmed compared to UDOO. Once I print my self a case for the UDOO it will be the star player of my embedded computing arsenal.

10. ufechner

ufechner New Member

Hello,

I am Uwe from TU Delft, The Netherlands.

I work as PhD researcher on the automated flight control of power-kites (see: http://www.kitepower.eu).

We have a kite-control unit with two powerful BDLC motors, and I would like to use this board to control it.
    Currently we are using an Electrum100 with Linux and a separate ARM board to control the motors.

Getting rid of one of these boards should reduce the control delay (currently about 160 ms) significantly.
    Also the performance of the UDOO board should be much higher than the performance of the Electrum 100,
    which has a 400 Mhz single-core CPU.

I am interested in using FreeRTOS on the small CPU. Important for us is to develop a BDLC controller
    for sensor-based motors with torque control.

Best regards:

Uwe Fechner

11. ji11x38

ji11x38 New Member

Hi Guys,

My name is Justin and i am an early adopter of the Udoo Quad!
    Since I am from Europe, i had to wait quit a while for the shipment but finally received the chip about a week ago.
    Since i'd like to do some stuff concerning opencv, i am looking forward to open up a thread in the programming topic!

Regards
    JI11X38

12. dhylands

dhylands New Member

Hi,

My name is Dave Hylands. I'm a professional software developer, with a keen interest in robotics.

I've been absent from robot building for the past 4 or 5 years, busy doing house renovations. I'm now starting to get back into robotics.

I'm also interested in CNC machining, and have a small CNC'd sherline that I use for making robot parts.

You can find out more about some of the stuff I've done on my website: www.davehylands.com

Dave Hylands

13. r3dfish

r3dfish New Member

Hi Delba,

So far my UX experience with this forum has been absolutely terrible. I found out from someone in #UDOO on IRC that I have to make a few posts before I can create a new thread. I spent the last 20 minutes doubting my competence as a human being because I was unable to post in a forum that I just signed up for.

I'm looking for some guidance on how to change the mode of the pins on the mx6 side to PWM as right now I can run PWM sketches that execute on the SAM side, but I can not seem to figure out how to print the current value of the pin from the mx6 side beyond a 1 or a 0. I found a reference to changing some header files in the UDOO starting manual, but was looking for a little more guidance.

Would you mind giving me the permission to create a topic so I might ask my question to the community?

Also, in an effort to improve the user experience for new users on this forum, I would recommend some type of onboarding process for new registrants that makes them aware of the fact that newly registered users do not have the ability to create new topics in this forum until that permission is granted to them by an administrator.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to contributing to the UDOO community.

14. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi r3dfish,

we used this kind of filter since we had high volume of spambot in our forum during the first months. Now the problem seems to be fixed and we just opened the "new topic" button to anyone even for the ones who didn't reply to any post.

We know that this procedure was a little bit confusing for the users (that's why we added a specific section in our faq page faq.php#f2r0) but it was a tradeoff to prevent hundreds of spam posts.

Sorry about that and welcome to our community

delba

15. ibe007

ibe007 New Member

Hello,

I have a UDOO board that does nothing. I have an Android v1.1 on a microSD card that I know works, a USB keyboard, a HDMI monitor, nothing works. I have had this board for about a month and I cannot get it to work.

It's a quad board.

I have many Raspberry Pi boards and Arduinos and an Arduino YUN that all work great.

Disappointed in the whole thing.

Any ideas?

16. ibe007

ibe007 New Member

Does anyone have one of these UDOO boards working?
    Mine has a green LED on and nothing happens.
    Why can't I extract the *.img file from the the *.zip file?
    The size is something very large more then may hard disk size. I have never experienced issues like this before.
    Super disappointed.
    I don't think, I'm going to be kickstart backing anymore stuff.

17. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

My UDOO Quad is working fine under Ubuntu. I am quite impressed at performance of the UDOO compared to the Raspberry Pi (which I also have). I have just tried booting Android, and although I can get up the first screen up I have not yet got past that. However that is likely to be me never having tried Android before. Not yet tried the Yocto image.

It is a shame there is no LED that shows activity while the system is booting. I guess one possibility is that you have not managed to write the SD card correctly. Another possibility is that the system IS booting but your problem is display oriented. If you have wired Ethernet plugged in have you looked at your router settings to see if it is seeing the UDOO board? If it is you might be able to make a ssh connection? I have installed xrdp so I can use A Remote Desktop connection from a Windows PC, but at the moment that starts logging in OK but fails while initialising X - I suspect a configuration error somewhere.

18. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Yes hundreds (thousands?) do, Feel free to review the troubleshooting data and other similar threads there are a lot of things that could be causing it not to boot. Power supply, need to redo the SD card image, and so on. There is a troubleshooting guide but i cant find it right now, its in many of the similar threads, i will keep looking
    This is likely because you are using windows extract, please use 7zip to extract the IMG file then follow the process.

Please understand what this product is (and isnt) and what Kickstarter is about.
    This was never intended (like most KS Projects of this nature) to be a 100% perfect final retail ready product delivered to your door step. As with many products like this, most of the focus at the beginning is on getting the hardware as perfect as possible.. because once shipped you can't change it.. Then all the work goes into the software. Right now there is tons of work being done by the UDOO Dev team and the community to improve the stability, reliability, and performance of the UDOO. Getting it to run different OSs and do many different things. This is a development platform, and just like the Raspberry Pi, when it first hits the market there is a lot of bumps to get over. There is a great community growing here and we are making rapid progress over a lot of those bumps. I have never seen an electronics based KS project that was not like this. Even the pebble, the top grossing kickstarter project ever, the most popular and first widespread smartwatch hit doors with tons of software issues that have been resolved with the help of the backer community. THAT is what kickstarter is about. Helping to fund and support a product(line) and the companies vision.

Too many people think Kickstarter is a shopping mall website to just buy cool products, it is not. It is a site to invest in companies and their new ideas/projects. In the case of UDOO that doesn't end with the board hitting your door. You are very much welcome to be part of the development or testing or use of everything that comes up or just sit back and wait as the new stuff is released and new fixes are put out.

The best thing for you to do, if you want to, is get your board running, start doing the things you want, try new stuff and start threads here in the forums to share your problems to get help and share your progress to help others. Im sure you will find many of the existing problems you are encountering have been shared here already. If you cant find a thread with the problem you are having please start a new one and we will help you as soon as we can

Please i hope you dont take any of this as negative to you... we truley welcome you to the community, we hope you lose the bad taste you have for the UDOO product and kickstarter as a whole. we really want this to turn out great.

19. ibe007

ibe007 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep trying the steps above. If I solve the issue, I'll consider using the forum for the solution. The comments about KS are true. I have to keep the new product stuff in mind that it might not be completely finished and we the community must work on the solutions.

Thanks again. You all lifted my spirits and enthusiasm for the UDOO board!

20. Keridos

Keridos New Member

I am Nico from Bonn, Germaqny, currently studying physics at the local university. Got my UDOO Quad today and will start messing around with it soonish :)