Watching flash video... and HDMI sound fix.

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by ibs, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ibs

ibs New Member

All,

If you want (or feel the need) to watch flash videos and other flash player content on your udoo a few simple "apt-get" commands will get you there...

1. apt-get install gnash

2. apt-get install browser-plugin-gnash

3. apt-get install firefox

Additionally, I had an issue getting my sound devices to show up so I had to end up downloading "gnome system tools" and change the advanced user settings (sound) of my new user by checking the "allow sound" checkbox.

4. apt-get install gnome-system-tools

2. josolanes

josolanes New Member

Thanks, I'll be taking using this shortly!

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

That's nice. Just tested gnash plugin with youtube and it works quite well.

4. sauceboat

sauceboat New Member

I followed the directions but even though firefox shows the gnash plugin installed, youtube plays html5 instead? The videos are all very choppy. If I go to config and set media.webm to disable, the video box just stays black and un-clickable.

5. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

Where are you downloading these files from?

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

using 'apt-get' they would be getting pulled from the listed repository
    The main repositories can be found in /etc/apt/sources.list
    If you run 'sudo apt-get install synaptic' that will install the Synaptic Package manager to allow you to install and remove package via gui and also you can manage the available repositories with it.

7. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

So remember dealing with a noob. :? I tried your suggestion and got the following output:

Code:
    ubuntu@imx6-qsdl:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'synaptic' has no installation candidate
    ubuntu@imx6-qsdl:~$ 

Do I need to run the command from a specific folder or do i need download the synaptic file first?

8. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

no just open a terminal window and run
    sudo apt-get install synaptic

When its done you will find it under applications -> other (i think, doing from memory)
    open it and you will find a menu options for repositories, and you can enable the ones that are needed.
    From there you can update from the repositories and install what you need. however you can also do it at the terminal, once you enable the repos, save and close synaptic and at the terminal run
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

then follow the various "sudo apt-get xxxx" commands above right from the terminal

9. pavelexpertov

pavelexpertov New Member

In my case, I would update repositories before installing synaptic by typing in:
    sudo apt-get update
    into the terminal and the password for root access/superuser is ubuntu (if I recall correctly).
    Then install synaptic by just typing sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Sorry if I repeated same code lines as posts above, but I want to be clear about the commands.
    P.S. You can do same for needed packages for watching flash videos, but mine one is not working. I am going to try install ubuntu restricted extras to see if that solves issue, but it's gonna take forever though.

10. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

I did that exactly as you've described but video in Youtube loads but does not play. I downloaded all the extras followed by Synaptic. Then loaded gnash and Firefox. Firefox shows gnash and Flash Player loaded. Do I have to uninstall one of them? :? :roll:

11. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Well there are actually 2 different things at play here
    1.) Updated the list of repositories
    For this we have to install synaptic and enable them (or edit the apt.sources file)
    2.) run apt-get to update against the newly enabled repositories.

In this case celtic762 had to get the new repositories enabled. doing a apt-get update wouldn't of mattered much, as it would have to be done again after the new repos had been enabled.

Now seperatly, i would like to get confirmation, has the success of the original directions been reproduced? im trying to determine if we can consider this an actual confirmed solution, or if its still work in progress

12. SoundChaos

SoundChaos New Member

I have had success with it, It did not work until I did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    first.
    Although it works... As previously stated, it is ok for 240p resolutions, a little choppy at 360-480p, and completely unplayable at 720p+

13. pavelexpertov

pavelexpertov New Member

DracoLlasa, first thing to say from me is that I do not think that it is my final solution, it's more like "work in progress". I have looked at few recent posts and I am surprised they managed to get to a point where they could load a video and not view it or load and view it in 240p quality. Unfortunately for me, the steps I have described above in my post did not help me at all. My chromium and firefox browsers said I missed a flash plug-in, still. Furthermore, I noticed that I did not manage to install flash plug-in when I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, which is a b"""er :cry: .
    However, I can tell you that I managed to get a youtube video working on a browser by installing some html5 codecs for chromium and I managed to load and watch a video, but it lagged a lot though. What you got to do is to go to synaptic with root access (type sudo synaptic in terminal) and then you search for html5 in the search and then in the list, you can find a package called chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-exl. Basically it contains non-free codecs that makes videos in HTML5 work fine in chromium for some reason(I think youtube has moved to HTML5 from flash for conveinience), but my videos lag when they are 720p.

Secondly, I know I can sound like a noob, but how do you enable repositories in synaptic? I thought apt-get update did the job or does the synaptic adds more repos in the list after enabling them. Coz I noticed ubuntu-restricted extras did not have flash-plugin.

14. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

thansk for the update one the flash stuff, i will mark this in my list as a topic that is still work in progress (we track a lot of similar threads)

Now regarding Apt-Get
    apt-get update - this command goes out to the existing repositories that are in the source file and gets the latest data, but it does not add new repositories.
    You can add new repositories manually by editing the /etc/apt/sources.list
    when you run apt-get update aptitude (apt) gets the updatesthe info from those repos.

once you install Synaptic, you can open it and there is a menu that is for repositories (sorry i dont have my UDOO up now to get exacts)
    When you open that settings window there will be a list of repositories and you can check the boxes for the ones you want. when you save that, it will add the new repos to the /etc/apt/sources.list
    once that is done you can run apt-get update (or the equivalent through Synaptic and it will update against all the newly added repositories.

The good news is that UDOO has stated that the next release will include Synaptic, and as such i would hope they will, by default have the most appropriate repos included. However this is still a good skill to learn because as the UDOO evolves there will be new repositories that come up and knowing how to add them is a good skill.

I was going to do a tutorial on all this but since UDOO will adding things to the next release i decided it was probably not a good use of time since it shouldn't really be needed anymore.