UDOO NEO FreeRTOS demo

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by phuongminh.dang, Jun 24, 2016.

1. phuongminh.dang

phuongminh.dang New Member

Hi all,

I'm new with UDOO NEO, how to run FreeRTOS demo on ARM Cortex-M4 ? Are there any source code release for this ?

Thank you very much.
    Best Regards

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

FreeRTOS bsp can be downloaded from here (you need to register), if that doesn't work go this page and search for FreeRTOS_BSP_i.MX6SX - Linux installer . You will need to make to some minor modifications to the bsp to correctly support the NEO peripheral.

3. phuongminh.dang

modjo, Andrea Rovai and waltervl like this.
  4. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Nice work, especially JLink support, when I can get of hold of a connector for the JTAG socket I might give it a go.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  5. phuongminh.dang

Hi,

I wan't to know what did A9 configure M4 after booting Linux ? I want to build a bare metal and light weigh project for A9 to do the same thing like Linux, just only enable M4 ready for debugging it ?

6. modjo

modjo Active Member

Nice work, especialy for debugging ! but how you connect your Jlink probe on jtag header ? Because on the official doc they don't precise the pin-out of the Jtag. Another question, this JTAG is connected to the A9 and M4 or just the M4 core ?

7. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

The schematics have the jtag pins for the unmounted J11 connector. From memory I tested with these pins:

2 - GND
    5 - JTAG_IMX_TDI
    6 - JTAG_TMS
    7 - JTAG_TRSTB
    8 - JTAG_IMX_TDO

JTAG is available for the A9 and M4, you will need to configure a JTAG chain to see both.

modjo likes this.
  8. phuongminh.dang

Hi,
    Not easy to connect JTAG with M4 core, A9 must run firstly and enables M4. That why we need to run UDOO NEO linux before debugging M4.

9. phuongminh.dang

Hello,

Is it possible if we use M4 and display image on LCD via HDMI cable ? My idea is :

- Start Linux, it helps us initializing frame buffer, HDMI output drivers.
    - Disable Linux graphic system such as X11, Gnome...
    - M4 copy image bmp data into frame buffer (physical DRAM address of frame buffer).

Is it feasible ?

10. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hello,

I wonder is someone wants to take on the Arduino FreeRTOS integration for the NEO M4 like seen here:
    https://github.com/greiman/FreeRTOS-Arduino

I played with it on an Arduino Mega 2560 and Due. Pretty cool.
    Probably a nice undergrad Computer Science project for a CapStone deliverable.

I would imagine some people would help on a nice lunch for someone that can make it happen. I am in.

Yes, I know FreeRTOS was ported to the M4. It is not the same as a nice integration with the ArduinoIDE for many reasons as you can guess.
    And, the NEO M4 configuration may need some other work to make run reliably.

Thank you!
    -Jack

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  11. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  12. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

In my opinion I can't see the point of overlaying FreeRTOS with a Arduino layer as the heterogeneous architecture of the imx6sx isn't particularly inline with a traditional MCU as used by existing Arduino targets. Having used the FreeRTOS layer I would argue its better (and I would argue easier ) to directly use it given the amount of flexibility it offers.

Given you haven't received a response, I suggest you take on the task yourself? There's quite a few dead posts on this forum where the originator of the post has requested (or more common complained) a feature, but has made no effort to implement it themselves. There's nothing stopping anyone undertaking these tasks as there is plenty of documentation available. I suspect fear of the unknown is the biggest hurdle.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    waltervl likes this.
  13. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi jas-mx,

Thanks for the reply.

I got in touch with the person that ported FreeRTOS to Arduino and shared it at GITHUB. I was trying to get an idea on what would take to port to the M4 at NEO. He told me that there would be incompatibility between FreeRTOS layer and the Arduino Libraries. And since without FreeRTOS in the way, we current have issues with the NEO Arduino libraries, I am going this route anymore.

-Jack

14. Manuel Malagon

Manuel Malagon New Member

Two questions.

1- What did you have to modify in the FreeRTOS BSP code to make it work with the UDOO-NEO?
    2- What do you have to do to u-boot and Linux (device tree, rfs, etc.) to automatically run the M4 code and have both Linux and FreeRTOS at the same time?

I have been having problems with these two concepts.

Thank you very much for helping!!

15. Goutam bhat

Goutam bhat New Member

Did you find answer for these questions? even i am working with FreeRTOS and have the same issue. Please help me out

16. Manuel Malagon

Manuel Malagon New Member

No sorry, I haven't.

I had to leave that behind because I just couldn't make it work. The information missing in this post and in every piece of information I have found is what modifications are needed in u-boot, device tree, or any linux-related file to make this work.

17. Goutam bhat

Goutam bhat New Member

can u say me how did u enter u-boot in udoo neo? i used this link https://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Advanced_Topics/Compile_U-Boot_Bootloader.html what is the next step after this?

thank you