WiFI not showing up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by penguinism, Nov 4, 2013.

1. penguinism

penguinism New Member

I just got my UDOO Quad running yesterday, but I am having trouble with the WiFi. On the android SD card when I click to turn Wi-Fi on it just changes the button state and does nothing. After a minute the button goes back to off. On the Linux SD the only network device is eth2 and I don't see any messages anywhere about a wireless device.

Did I just get a dud and my WiFi module is broken? Are there jumpers or connections I should check? Are there software issues with the WiFi where I might just need a new release or driver update?

Really looking forward to the full potential of UDOO.

2. firehopper

firehopper Member

try doind a lsusb and see what shows up, show us what it says..
    also maybe pastbin the output of the dmesg

3. penguinism

penguinism New Member

Thanks for looking into this:

lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 062a:0000 Creative Labs Optical mouse
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver

The last two are a wireless mouse I'm using and a wireless keyboard I'm using.

dmesg

http://pastebin.com/zVgHjUQ9

4. firehopper

firehopper Member

yeah I dont see anything referencing the wifi adapter. unplug it and leave it unplugged for a few mins.. also try reimaging the sd card.

its as if its not being detected.
    you could also try putting the keyboard dongle in another port. or in a usb hub if you have one.

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

it should show up as something like this
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    As firehopper noted you can try to reseat the module.

The module is located right behind the HDMI Interface incase your not sure.
    There is a single screw in the bottom of the board holding it in. Remove that screw and pull the WiFi module straight up as to not bend the pins (they arent too flimsy to dont worry). Boot the UDOO up let it cycle without it. In mine i was able to plug it in while it was booted and it detected it and enabled it, but for you i would try to boot without it the shut down plug it back in and boot up again.

If these steps don't work, you may have a bad module and you will have to place a support case in with UDOO to see if they can get you a replacement
    http://www.udoo.org/support/contact-us/

6. penguinism

penguinism New Member

I flashed the latest Ubuntu image to the SD card.
    I moved the keyboard to a hub.
    I unplugged the UDOO and let it cool off
    I unplugged and reseated the Wi-Fi module (I think... It has an FCC logo).

None of these seem to have had any effect. No change in lsusb output except the addition of the USB hub. No change in dmesg. No additional network adapters.

Do you think I might have gotten a faulty Wi-Fi module? Are there any jumpers or anything that affect it (AFAICT my board looks like the images on the site)?

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

There arent any jumpers im aware of. it does sound like you may have a defunct adapter.
    Im sure we could get into some testing with a DMM to check, but honestly i think you are better off reaching out to UDOO support with that link i gave you to see if they can do any final troubleshooting and then if called for just send you a new one

8. penguinism

penguinism New Member

Oh, sorry I missed your earlier reply. Thanks for the advice, I'll follow up using that contact link.

9. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

penguinism,

we got your email and replied. We'll let you know asap the next move.

Cheers

10. andcmp

andcmp New Member

For everybody knowledge, when you run lsusb you should see this line listed among the others:

Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.

This is your wifi module.

11. penguinism

penguinism New Member

Yikes, I never got the email. Maybe spam filtered or something. I got so busy with holidays and everything that I forgot to come back and check the forum.

I liked the UDOO so much that I ordered two more despite the issues I had with the first one. They arrived a few weeks ago and now with those parts available I am able to determine that the Wi-Fi module in my first board is fine (works on other boards) so the USB bus it connects to must be broken.

If you can send me another email about how to proceed I will try to make sure it doesn't get filtered.

Thanks!

12. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

penguinism, we don't use the email method anymore. We switched to a more efficient CustomerCare system. Please open a ticket here: http://www.udoo.org/customer-care/ specifying your problem so we can solve it as soon as we can.