How does UDOO X86 fare as a full fledged ubuntu server?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by S.P., Nov 18, 2016.

1. S.P.

S.P. New Member

Can udoo x86 be used as a full fledged ubuntu server? For example run few Java based cloud apps with a mysql database. Or a node.js server. How about hosting websites?

What would be the speed by like? Would processing of huge amount of data be possible on this server? How reliable would it be?

I am thinking about using it as a server for my application (which gets good number of hits).

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Of course it can be a server.
    UDOO X86 is a standard desktop PC and can do whatever a desktop PC with the same specs can do.

3. S.P.

S.P. New Member

Yes but I have realized that it has never been advertised as such. Is there a reason to focus only on the media server aspect and not as a web server? For me it seems like a good replacement for some web servers, but there could be issues that I am unaware of.

4. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I don't think you will have any issues running it as a Ubuntu server - for home usage. I run a webserver, a graph database server and a OSGi server on an old laptop with Ubuntu, and this will work on the X86 too.

5. S.P.

S.P. New Member

Do you recommend it for public usage? Like a server for a website or a blog (high traffic)? Let's say X86 + ssd? There will be no moving parts right?

6. Reallife

Reallife New Member

Hi, S.P.

yes you can. But maybe not with millions of connections per second.

I use my Udoo Quad as Web-, Samba-, OpenVPN- and Seafile-Server without any problems.

The X86 has more power.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

@S.P. , Depends on high traffic high traffic is, how dynamic the website is, vs how static the pages are. I think you will be able to handle quite a few requests, especially if you have enough ram. You'll need the configure the os and the application right because it will be a matter of how many concurrent requests it will accept, and how many threads it will be able to run.

Also, unless you have a high speed fibre connection up and down to the device your processing speed will be limited. Given that the device is not delivered in a rack mounted case I don't think you'll be able to put in in a hosted data center.

Be aware that 'high traffic' websites use a cluster of webservers, dynamic load balancing, content delivery networks. So in the end it is much more complex than just having a website on a device. You'll have to keep maintaining it, protecting it against attacks, virus distributions, software updates.

If you really have a high traffic website you might be better of running it at a dedicated provider giving you lots of services.

8. S.P.

S.P. New Member

I am interested in knowing if there are limitations on the processing side of UDOO x86 and its reliability as a server. Let's say I have a high speed connection. And I use a small cluster of these devices. Professional servers are know to be built for reliability against data corruption for example. How does UDOO fare against these server with equivalent specs? Are there any reasons for not to use UDOO as a server?

But where's the fun in that? ;)

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I suppose the only reason not to use them as a server is that they are not designed to be one. But no one will keep you from doing so and find out that they perform very well. You can use a couple of laptops also as a clustered server. But why is no one doing that?

Please keep us up to date with your findings. Did you check the specifications of a commercial webserver against the specs of an Udoo X86?

Maurice likes this.
  10. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi @S.P.,
    I quote @waltervl: "Please keep us up to date with your findings."
    Really, keep us posted!

11. Mfigs

Mfigs New Member

Hello @S.P.
    I'd be hesitant to use UDOO x86 as a serious public server for Database, Dynamic, or webapps especially if you end up getting loaded down by a burst of users. The biggest bottle neck for the board is going to be the lack of RAID availability and low RAM amount to keep hundreds of users alive. BUT it sounds like you already have a server that is completing these tasks. Instead of trying to replace your server with an UDOO x86 board you can try to augment your network with it by setting the UDOO up as a reverse proxy NGINX Server to do all of your static serving for your main server then hand off dynamic content to your regular server. I'm planning on using my board when I get it to test it's performance as an NGINX Server which should perform favorably with its specifications under static content. If it works well I'll probably get a few more to create a simple cheap cluster to handle fail-over and load-balancing for NGINX depending on my need. I'll also probably use the UNO part to wire sensors and webcams into my server room to keep track of who is in the room doing what... NGINX is worth looking into for UDOO x86.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  12. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@Mfigs The microcontroller on the UDOO X86 is the Intel Arduino 101 (more features than the UNO, for example - every digital pin can have an interrupt attached, whereas the UNO is limited to two). With your interest in monitoring sensor data, you might be interested in another feature of the 101, its parallel data recognition engine. Further info here > https://github.com/01org/Intel-Pattern-Matching-Technology

Maurice likes this.