2 gig Ram

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knightschade, Jul 4, 2013.

1. knightschade

knightschade New Member

Any chance of the development team, changing the RAM to 2 Gig on the quad for the board release?

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Knight - while I personally would LOVE to see 2GB RAM on this thing (I had a Pandaboard ES previously and was utterly frustrated at how little RAM was free once Ubuntu was started up), I doubt this would be something that will happen. I would imagine the design is relatively set in stone at this point, and higher density RAM would change the cost structure a bit.

Maybe we'll get to see that and a new gen CPU in a follow-on product next year?

3. gasem

gasem New Member

Why something as bloated as Ubuntu? I would prefer a frugal install of something like Puppy linux which runs easily entirely out of 1 gb memory (it actually runs easily on half that). Its memory footprint is about 150mb. Once loaded there are hardly any disk writes to the card since the program uses a ram disk so the cards last a long time. I have frugal puppy set up on an old T61 booting from a USB card and I write to the USB only once a day. There is some development of puppy for ARM but it seems kind of stalled at the moment.

4. Setola

Setola New Member

I Totally agree on this and I also hope in future developments!

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to my upcoming UDOO :)

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Agreed.. I'd really prefer to have a very stripped down (but all the libraries needed to interact with the hardware) OS. Let us add in what we need/want, including a visual desktop. But not all applications really have a need for a GUI desktop and I'd prefer to not have to boot into it all the time.

So, yeah, something like Puppy sounds like it would be a very good fit.