OpenEmbedded/Yocto for UDOO Boards

Discussion in 'Yocto' started by graugans, Nov 7, 2015.

1. modjo

modjo Active Member

Good news !

2. graugans

graugans Administrator Staff Member

Can you please start a new thread with this? So people can better find this.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  3. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

I tested NTP client and it works like a charm. You just have to configure a list of time servers in the /etc/ntp.conf file. Otherwise, meta-networking also contains the ntimed package which is a lightweight NTP client.

I see SPI and CAN bus options in the udooneo.conf file but nothin in the udooqdl.conf one. Does your layer support SPI and CAN for UDOO Quad/Dual?

4. graugans

I think modjo has patches floating around for can & spi. I am not happy with current approach in Neo this is a ugly hack. I prefer devitree overlays. But this needs kernel 4.x

Gesendet von meinem FP2 mit Tapatalk

5. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

Well this is not the best approach but this is the cleanest approach today I guess. I plan to implement a 6LoWPAN network using the Microchip's MRF24J40MA IEEE 802.15.4 transceiver module with the UDOO Quad and I need SPI communication for this. I'll move forward to UDOO Neo but for other hardware considerations I have to use the Quad before.

6. graugans

Yes, I agree it is the best we have at the moment. For me it is a bit difficult to handle all use cases. And test all combination. Patches may not work good if deployed in another order or when a patch is missing in some scenarios

7. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

Yes I noticed that disadvantage of patching. Anyway, I'll probably enable both CAN and SPI as CAN could be an alternative for 802.15.4.

graugans likes this.
  8. modjo

modjo Active Member

Hi cyrilf, can you precise here how you have added ntp to yocto please ? I'm also interrested by this please ?
    Otherwise, for can and spi i have some patch here for secoA62 (it would be working also for quad).

9. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

Simply add "ntp" to your IMAGE_INSTALL.

Edit:

I don't have the wlan0 interface on the UDOO Neo, even after configuring the wpa_supplicant.conf file. I have to run manually
    Code:
    ifup wlan0
    to see it.

If I try ifup -a:
    Code:
    # ifup -a
    ifup: interface lo already configured
    ifup: interface eth0 already configured
    wlan0 is not listed.

Any idea?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    modjo likes this.
  10. graugans

About W-LAN maybe the interface is not yet ready when init tries to bring it up. I have to check...

11. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

I found the solution. Just add
    Code:
    auto wlan0
    before
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    in the meta-udoo/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifupdown/<machine>/interfaces file.
    It enables it for
    Code:
    ifup -a
    command at start up.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    modjo and graugans like this.
  12. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

meta-fsl-demos and other meta-fsl layers (except meta-fsl-arm but for how long?) have been deleted. It seems now that meta-freescale and meta-freescale-distro (optional demo layer) and other meta-freescale-* layers have replaced them. Let see here.

graugans likes this.
  13. graugans

Thx , for pointing this out. I have this on my list but due to some private priorities I have no time frame at the moment to switch to meta-freescale and Morty. Which will make some stuff more easy like qt5.7 etc...

14. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

I'm looking to add patches for SPI and CAN buses and I wonder how do you write your patches without adding the kernel sources to your repo?

15. modjo

modjo Active Member

use quilt to do that. For example, if you need make a patch for the kernel go to yocto/neoBuild/tmp/work/udooneo-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-udooboard/3.14-56-r0/git.
    open a shell
    $quilt new name-of-my-patch.patch
    $quilt add "name of the file that you want to pacth"

make your modification directly on the file that you want to change
    $bitbake -ccomplile -f linux-udooboard

check if you have that you want ...
    when you are satisfy, update your patch with
    $quilt refresh

copy your patch in your layer and it to your recipe.

cyrilf and graugans like this.
  16. graugans

I do most of my patches with git. Which is called git workflow You can spawn a devshell with bitbake for each recipe. The workflow described by @modjo is called quilt workflow

Code:
    bitbake -cdevshell virtual/kernel
    Due to the fact this shell runs within fakeroot context I mostly just copy its working directory and use a regular shell with my users git config. When finished you can create a patch with git format-patch. Yocto does provide a manual for kernel development

cyrilf likes this.
  17. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

Thanks for your advice. I'll try it as soon as possible to add SPI and CAN support for the UDOO Quad.

Andrea Rovai, modjo and graugans like this.
  18. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

I wrote some patches to enable SPI and CAN for the UDOO Quad. Here the is the SPI patch and here the CAN bus patch.
    I didn't try them directly but I looked at the kernel logs to see if everything is fine. Unfortunately, there is errors with the pinmux.

There is no mention of pin 114 and pin 64 on the UDOO Quad pinout.

PS: maybe it could be smarted to write custom .dts files with include to override UDOO kernel .dts like imx6dl-udoo-lvds7.dts do for LCD drivers support for example.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    modjo likes this.
  19. Retasor

Retasor New Member

I am trying to create a Yocto image with Qt support for the seco-a-62-j duallite.
    Thanks to the work of @graugans and @modjo has done and shared with the community I was able to build the image and compile Qt5.6 into it together with the SDK, it boots and the HDMI is working.
    I'm wondering how I can get the LVDS output working and if it is already working. I did read @modjo was struggling with it. But couldn't find if it is solved in the mean time.

I also want to know which branch I should use for the meta-qt5 layer. I'm on the jansa/krogoth at the moment

20. graugans

Hello @Retasor I do prepare the morty branch which will support Qt 5.7 and meta-freescale. I hope I have something working soon.