Bootable microSD for Android not working - UdooNeo Full

Discussion in 'Android' started by Vinay Jindal, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Vinay Jindal

Vinay Jindal New Member

Hi,
    I am facing issues while creating a bootable microSD card using the steps mentioned in http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Getting_Started/Create_a_bootable_MicroSD_card_for_UDOO_Neo.html

After following the steps, my 16g microsd card fails to bootup at Udoo Neo full. The details are given below:
    Board: Udoo Neo Full
    Image: udoo_neo_android-6.0.1_beta2.img.zip
    Unarchive Software: 7zip
    MicroSD Card: Sandisk 16GB microSDHC card
    Host OS : Windows 10
    Disk Creator Software: Win32DiskImager-0.9.5-install.exe (Installer)

I am able to use its serial debug console to capture boot logs and see following error along-with many errors at later boot phases(log file attached as well).
    *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Thanks in advance.
    - vne

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Vinay Jindal

Vinay Jindal New Member

Just an update that this warning seems to be harmless, but using this bootable SD card, I am not able to connect to it using 192.168.7.2 web and also VNC connection is not available. It seems sd card is able to boot but the android OS services are not coming up!
    Pls have a look at boot logs to see what is going wrong here and how to debug it further....

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I am not sure but I think there is no VNC and no direct USB on Android, only on Udoobuntu 2. What if you connect an HDMI monitor, do you see the screen?

Vinay Jindal likes this.
  4. Vinay Jindal

Vinay Jindal New Member

you are right actually. After connecting HDMI, it shows android home screen. Thanks for the tip.

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there @Vinay Jindal,
    we've not implemented the VNC and SSH functions in our Android image. These services are not present by default in Android, and we haven't added them. Android is not meant to be used in a headless mode (not by us, I mean by the original developers of Android).

6. Vinay Jindal

Vinay Jindal New Member

Thanks @Andrea Rovai for confirmation.
    Google has come up with its IoT platform 'Android Things' which they claim to be integrated with Google's ecosystem. Any plans to have Udoo Neo to support it ?

7. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

We cannot simply port it. Check https://developer.android.com/things/hardware/index.html:

"We work with SoC partners to build Android Things certified development boards that contain SoMs (System-on-Modules) to get you developing fast."

and

"The Board Support Package (BSP) is managed by Google."

In other words, partners of Google are sending it their boards, and Google is compiling Android Things for those boards only.
    In short, to have Android Things we need to have it ported by Google specifically for our boards, or we need to have a BSP to work on.
    I've also tried to contact them but with no result so far.