WIFI and Ethernet usable by SAM3X?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HEG, Nov 7, 2013.

1. HEG

HEG New Member

Hi,

is ist possible to use the WIFI and Ethernet capabilities of the UDOO Quad board from the SAM3X or only from the I.MX6? Background is that I wanna connect my IOS Device to UDOO without having to purchase a WIFI shield.

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards,
    Sven

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

From what i recall the SAM3X8 has the ability to use the wifi and ethernet.
    Im sure others can chime in with details but if not i will try and pull it up from the documentation

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Putting to one side the physical connections there is the matter of drivers (well a full networking stack) for the SAM3X8E.

There are libraries about for WiFi and Ethernet shields of course but no doubt geared to specific hardware on the shields they are expected to be matched to.

It may be more straight forward to use the i.MX6 as a 'bridge' device to relay through to the SAM3X8E. However this has not yet been done (or even started to my knowledge) but would probably be the best technical solution without extra hardware.

You don't mention what you are trying to ultimately achieve.

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

We may need UDOO guys to confirm, but i thought the board was setup so the SAM3 chip could get access (maybe through flipping jumpers) to the ethernet and/or wifi module..

5. firehopper

firehopper Member

from what I saw, the sam3 has no access to the ethernet/wifi, the wifi is attached via usb. the ethernet, I'm not sure.

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

yea its possible im completely off my rocker.. just hoping they experts chime in here :)

7. HEG

HEG New Member

Hi,

first of all thank you very much for your super prompt feedback. Much appreciated!

I have access to a touchless gesture recognition hardware, which outputs detected gestures via I2C. The idea is to control a custom IOS app via touchless gestures. The data flow I imagine is like this:

Touchless gesture recognition HW -> I2C -> UDOO (SAM3X) -> WIFI -> WIFI Router -> WIFI -> iPhone -> custom app

At this point in time it is just a proof of concept, so higher latency is acceptable. Another (wired) possibility would be

Touchless gesture recognition HW -> I2C -> UDOO (SAM3X) -> RS232 -> Lightning -> iPhone -> custom app

But the latter solution would force me to purchase an expensive RS232-to-Lightning cable, which I want to avoid at this point in time.

I agree that the missing WIFI SW stack for the SAM3X might be another problem.

With kind regards,
    Sven

8. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Sounds interesting!

How about this:
    HW -> I2C -> i.MX6 -> WiFi -> iPhone --- you did realise that the i2C can be applied to the SAM3X8E *or* i.MX6 didn't you?

Another option is:

HW -> I2C -> SAM3X8E <-> I.MX6 (via internal UART, passing on the data sensed, or a summary thereof) -> WiFi -> iPhone

9. HEG

HEG New Member

That's actually a good idea. I was thinking of using the SAM3X since it is easier to program via the Arduino IDE. In the end it is probably easier to let the i.MX6 handle the I2C directly although a quad core is a bit overkill for that task ;-)

With kind regards,
    Sven

10. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Glad to be of service :)

What sort of sensor did you have in mind? (link please!)

11. andcmp

andcmp New Member

The SAM3X doesn't have access to the wifi or ethernet so yes, the best solution is to use the iMX6 as a bridge.

12. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Ahhh great thanks for the clarification. :)

Hopefully as we progress we can get things like Processing working to help provide a common bridge so things that the are done by the arduino due(like) device can interact back and forth with the internet via a processing or Java application on the Linux side, but that is being discussed in many other threads :)

13. HEG

HEG New Member

14. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Interesting, thank you. Make a detailed post with a writeup when you have something to report pls!