Booting Udoo?

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by bugmenot, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Yes I need to use Android because of the 2 Android apps that need to run - neither is available for Unix so I need to be able to access the additional remaining 8Gb of space on the SD.

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Dave, there are partition tools for android (aparted seems to be an example). Are you comfortable downloading that app and manually copying it over with the File Explorer?

Alternatively do you have access to a Linux/Mac/Windows machine that can handle SD Cards? You can resize the partition there.

Failing the above, it's a case of either living with 8GB out of 16 or booting to Linux on the UDOO and doing it there (guides/advice can be supplied on how to do that of course)

3. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

So if I go into Windows device manager and disk management, is it simply a matter of expanding the exiting partition (which has the working Androind image on it) ?

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

5. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

The 16Gb card shows up (in windows) as a single partition with a little over 8Gb free space. I thought I had read here that there was an 8Gb limit and that I would need to adjust partition sizing but according to what I'm seeing, it looks like I have the available space (all remaining space) to use as needed. Can anyone confirm I'm ok and that here isn't some issue that's going to bite me in the butt. I have everything (finally and this was painful) hooked up and running and just received my ableHD monitor (another KS) project which works but apparently I need to adjust the Udoo display setting to get HD / wide screen which I assuming would be under settings in Android. Lastly, does anyone know of a case that will fit this board. I need to mount it rot he rear of the ableHD monitor panel. Thanks. This have really been a learning experience.

6. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Hi Dave

Well, I suggest you make an Image backup of the SD first as an insurance policy (always good to have a backup if you're happy with it's content) and then resize the partition to make the most of it.

A case that fits UDOO or a case that fits AbleHD controller board? I don't know where you live nor what method of securing you hope to achieve. IE are you hoping to get a case that will be capable of VESA mounting?

7. mkopack

mkopack Member

There are a few folks in the general thread working on cases, but they aren't ready yet.

Free space to the partition manager software means "space that hasn't been allocated to a partition", not "in a partition and not used"

Ie, you have a 16gb card, you have an 8gb partition, leaving about 8gb of free I allocated to a partition space.

Totally understand your reluctance to risk ruining the partition you have set up currently. I would suggest trying the aparted method (I assume it's similar to gparted).

Education is one of the main points of this board so glad that you are learning from it! Thing is To not be afraid to make mistakes. We learn from mistakes (even the painful ones).

Another option - didn't you have an 8 GB card too? Why not experiment on that one to build up some confidence before doing it on the 16gb with your data?

8. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Case wise (assuming you mean UDOO):

Well you know the UDOO is 4.33 inch x 3.35 inch (11cm x 8.5cm) in size. You can just get a small project case from Maplin/Radio Shack/Digikey etc and with the assistance of a hand drill/dremel put that into action. You can get some Velcro pads (both sides) and attach to the back of your AbleHD that way.

9. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

The original 8Gb SD card had a corrupted image. When the 1.1 image was released,I tried for aging the card and loading the image - no luck. Then I tried another 8Gb card - looked like it should work but, no luck. The reader I bought included a Kingston 16 Gb card which I formatted and unzipped the 1.1 image and it booted right up. Not sure what's going on but at least it works. As for the case, I'm just looking for something to contain the electronics (Udoo and the AbleHD components on the back of the monitor panel. I have already found a case (basically a wide aluminum picture frame - the AbleHD panel slide right in and there's enough depth for the Udoo and the Able's control board. I plan to use these as security camera monitors and just have them hang on a. Wall (with a power cable fished up through the wall) so no VESA mounting needed.

10. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Scrub the SD's and start again.

When you download stuff from UDOO, check the SHA-1 checksums to make sure you have a good download... many don't do this but it's amazing how many bad downloads there are from the UDOO site (or torrents).

11. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

to scrub the card you want to download SDFormater, this will give a full proper format, resize to full capacity and do it properly (things windows Format cant do right)

12. kevin

kevin New Member

I've also been struggling with my Udoo doing nothing more than lighting the LED, but after reading this post I've checked the packaging and sure enough, this same chip is loose. It looks like it should be under the heatsink, next to the power connector?

I've sent a message via the "contact-us" page, hopefully I'll get a response.

13. oxygen84

oxygen84 New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I haven't taken the heatsink off to see if there's an empty space but I think it must have been under the heatsink when it fell into my hand.

14. kevin

kevin New Member

I've not taken the heatsink off, just peered under it next to the power connector - the missing chip position looks like it's at the edge of the PCB.

15. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

so do both of you "Kevin" and "oxygen84" actually have the RAM chip that is detached?
    It seems Oxygen clearly stated he did, but kevin do you have the same thing (chip in hand) or do think yours may just be loose or something due to similar results.

16. kevin

kevin New Member

17. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

18. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

yep i would agree, i doubt we can provide any help.. will just have to wait to wait for the UDOO guys to step in and provide thier direction.

This is a very unfortunate situation, i sure hope there are not too many more, and that you two get your boards replaced ASAP

19. kevin

kevin New Member

Yeah, thanks, I'd agree as well - I can't see this being a DIY fix. I'll let you know when I get a response...

20. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Yes please do, i have also tried to reach out to get some extra attention here in this part of the thread. At 10 pages long UDOO guys may not be following totally.. hopefully we get some feedback real soon.