USB 3 ports - do they protect from plugging a charging/data USB cable?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by milaremi, Mar 27, 2017.

1. milaremi

milaremi New Member

Hello Udoo Gods!

One of the uses I envision for my new UdooX86 Ultra board is to plug it into the forthcoming Superbook:

https://goo.gl/OJrmCE

Via a USB A - USB C cable similar to this:

https://goo.gl/yqCGHJ

The Superbook will be used mainly as a larger screen/keyboard for my smartphone and as a bonus, it charges the smartphone via its USB C connection also. However they also say that the Superbook can be used with a rasberry-pi or USB stick computer! So I'm hoping that that it will also work with my UdooX86 board, via one of the Udoo's USB 3 ports.

However I worry that the charging feature of the superbook's USB C port may fry the UdooX86, through one of the three USB 3 ports. Hence my question:

Are the UdooX86 USB 3 ports protected from accidental (or in my case purposeful) power being supplied to them via USB?

Grazie!

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

The USB ports have over current protection.
    The USB 3.0 standard provides 900 mA max.

milaremi likes this.
  3. milaremi

milaremi New Member

So inbound power to the UdooX86 USBs won't fry our boards, correct?

Thanks as always for your excellent help Laura!

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original post. The UDOO X86 board needs to be powered by a 12V supply (not USB).
    I will look into this subject area, and update this post shortly. Just posting this quick so I do not make anyone fry their board.

Edited to add: In addition to over current protection, the USB ports on the UDOO X86 provide reverse current protection, so a third-party USB device acting as master cannot send current to the UDOO. Hope that makes sense. It is late :confused:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    milaremi likes this.