Udoo x86

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by PeterRobinson, Feb 23, 2017.

1. PeterRobinson

PeterRobinson New Member

Hello,
    I am considering using the Udoo x86 for a project but I have a few questions.

Is there a way to connect a touch screen display to the board other than the HDMI interface? I do not see any other on boards connections or kits available. I would be extremely interested if there was a 7" touch screen display that could connect directly to the board without the need for an additional power supply. I can most likely make a work around but I was curious if something already existed. Trying to make a tablet.

milaremi likes this.
  2. milaremi

milaremi New Member

I too am interested in this...Andrea?

This was one of the items that was a quite popular request when you put out your request for accessories (further down in this forum).

Thanks and keep up the good work!

3. Laura

Laura UDOOer

A USB powered touch screen might be a good option.

milaremi likes this.
  4. PeterRobinson

PeterRobinson New Member

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,
    I apologize I'm answering just now.
    To avoid the necessity of powering the screen, as Laura said, you should look for a USB-powered touch screen.

PeterRobinson likes this.
  6. PeterRobinson

PeterRobinson New Member

Yes! That is the exact solution we found.
    Now to make a mobile power supply!

7. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

I would use a high end custom UPS solution since the rated input voltage to UDOO X86 requires tight regulation and filtering. Automotive systems range from droops of 9V to transients of 15+ Volts and could damage UDOO if driven directly. This is an ideal solution for smooth transient power in an automotive environment. http://www.mini-box.com/OpenUPS2

Again, in an automotive application, DC power in a vehicle drops as low as 9V during the starter motor usage drawing several hundred amps from a battery, to roughly 16V or higher spikes as charging the battery alone is 14.4V and inductive spikes as relays a solenoids could easily push higher transients. Per the specs http://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Introduction/Introduction.html
    12V (± 5%) DC Power Jack (standard 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel jack: internal positive)
    5% tolerance on 12V is only ± 0.6V so high input max is 12.6V, minimum is 11.4V

8. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

For building some sort of mobile (battery powered computing system) you really minimally should include basic safety features.
    #1 BMS (Battery Management System) prevents over charging and over discharge of Lithium and other types of batteries- Fire prevention!!!
    #2 Battery charging circuit since we are likely talking about a battery chemistry that should be controlled charging to prevent damage and fire
    #3 Since UDOO X86 requires tight 5% regulation at 12V, directly powering from batteries - especially different variants where charging voltage is several volts higher, you need a regulator buck/boost to use the full capacity of many battery combinations. Here is what I would shoot for if I didn't want to engineer all of the those individual requirements and modules.
    http://www.batteryspace.com/12v-132vregulatedbatterypack.aspx