M.2 SSD screw/spacer size

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Ethin E., Mar 30, 2017.

1. Ethin E.

Ethin E. New Member

In the tutorial video, they show connecting an M.2 SSD with a screw and spacer. I have my own M.2 I am planning to use, so I didn't order one. Can anyone tell me the screw/spacer size?

2. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  3. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  5. Toley

Toley New Member

$25 for a screw!!!

6. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

plus shipping

7. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Come on guys, I just posted a random link showing what it looked like for reference. I wasn't saying "You must buy that exact screw". And hey, if the guy sells 10 in a year on Ebay- good for him. Price is was the market will buy- so obviously somebody is buying.

8. Ethin E.

Ethin E. New Member

No wonder SSDs are so expensive ;)

Thanks for the info Jetguy. That looks like a nice kit for spacers. Any chance you know how the cpu fan they sell connects? I have an old 3-pin fan that has the same dimensions as the one they sell, and it looks very similar with the three screw holes. I don't know if it's necessary, or if it will even fit with the acrylic case, but I will give it a try.

9. Zudla

Zudla New Member

Do you have a box for µSD card? I solve the "screew problem" the Czech way and it works good ;) I am waiting for the nylon spacers (same as Jetguy), too. The fan needs to be 12V compatible. The 12V are on the pin 2 and right is the ground. There are some settings in BIOS for the fan (no wonder that the fan is not runnign with 30°C).

Attached Files:

10. Brad

Brad New Member

The fan connector is from Molex and the documentation lists the exact part numbers. Very nice. Specifically, the connector for the fan is Molex 51021-0300. Unless you have a crimping tool, I'd advise you to get the wires pre-crimped. For that, it's Molex 79758-0014. These URLs are for Mouser.com and the total for 1 connector and 3 wires will be $2.26 USD + tax/shipping. [Which will probably be about the cost of a fan from UDOO (minus shipping).]

tonberryhunter likes this.
  11. Markus Laire

I just received my UDOO X86 Ultra with 128 GB SSD and there was neither screw nor spacer for SSD included.

12. Alexander Chang

Alexander Chang New Member

Yup, I think the screw and spacer needed for SSD are lacking....

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

13. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

14. info0815

info0815 New Member

Is it necessary to have nylon spacers or is conductive material like brass or metal also OK? I'm not sure if this could result in ground loop problems or shortcuts.

15. Alexander Chang

Alexander Chang New Member

I think not.
    I did use metal screws which were included in the package but not anywhere shown in demo videos to anchor the SSD and use plastic ones for the acrylic case.
    Nothing happened so far.....

16. thE_29

thE_29 Member

So I would need the connector +3 cables and I would be able to connect a normal FAN? With normal 3 Pin Molex connector?

17. Markus Laire

No, you would then have just 3 wires coming out of fan connector of UDOO. You could then cut off the 3-pin connector of your fan and just connect each of 3 wires one by one.

To build proper adapter from UDOO fan connector to standard 3-pin, you would also need some kind of female 3-pin fan connector.

ps. Mouser shipping price to Finland is at least 20 €, with 50 € order required for free shipping, so I'm not going to try this anytime soon.

18. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Yeah, I would either need another adapter or just wire/sold it together. But would the speed-control then work? It should, as it is the CPU-fan connector or?

And when shipping to Finland is that expensive, I would guess that sending to Austria will not be cheaper..

PS.: I am currently waiting for the SATA-power to 5V/12V adapter (was just 3-4€), as I dont need the SATA stuff (USB3 and SSD internal). When I get the adapter, I will run some tests with 5V and then with 12V.
    The spare fan I had was that one: http://noctua.at/en/nf-r8-redux-1200 and what I read, I dont think it will work with 5V.

19. JamesRBlack

JamesRBlack New Member

20. ttan

ttan New Member

Not pretty, but it works. The M3 bolt length is 12mm (ideally, should be 15mm). Also, 2260 card probably won't work as the bolt needs a through-hole at 42mm.

Attached Files: