Win10 Installation Issue (seeing other drives)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by grayfuse, Apr 4, 2017.

1. grayfuse

grayfuse New Member

Curious if anyone else has bumped into this. I am attempting to install Windows 10 onto the new UDOO x86.

Loaded up a USB thumb drive based on instructions. Also formatted at 64GB UHC (and a class 10 as well) to NTFS.

Following instructions, I connected both to the UDOO, did boot up sequence. When I get to the Windows 10 installation screen where you pick and installation partition, I am always presented with only two options (a 1MB partition and a 7.9GB partition). Neither of them can be chosen to install to, and no matter what I do I can't get another partition to appear. (I've tried multiple micro SD cards, additional USB thumb drives, etc).

Before going the route of buying additional hardware (SATA drive, M.2 SSD), does anyone know what might be happening here?

Thanks in advance!
    J

2. ThomasOu

ThomasOu Member

Windows can't be installed to USB drive or SD card unless PE or other format e.g. VHD and Windows to go. The 8GB partition is the built-in eMMC and obviously not enough space for win10.

waltervl likes this.
  3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Exactly.

4. ottyphc

ottyphc New Member

Gray fuse, where do you find the instructions you are following for the installation of windows 10.

5. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

6. grayfuse

grayfuse New Member

It would be great if this information about SD cards and USB drives is added to the documentation. The current 1-2 page PDFs are not enough information to cover all the different scenarios, especially for folks who are new to this hardware.

Looking forward to trying this stuff out once I buy additional hardware for it...

7. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Daniel Hrynczenko likes this.