UDOO X86 stucked in boot loop

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by r0br0ck, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. r0br0ck

r0br0ck New Member

Hi there,

First thanks for that awesome board! I´m verry happy with it.
    Here is my problem:

I´ve installed Win 10 + Kodi on an M2 SSD and that worked like a charm. After setting the board to hibernation it is stucked in a bootloop :/
    Udoo starting screen flash up and sometimes taht there is no bootable device then it reboots. I can`t even access bios.
    Do you have any suggestion how to fix that?

Thanks for your help

r.

2. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Well #1, unplug your drive with that OS image and prove you can boot the bare board and can get into UEFI/BIOS. That's the first rule of troubleshooting, take it down to the bare basics. Then, if that works, the problem is in the image on that drive. If you are truly stuck in that even in a bare board with nothing but the board (no M.2 SSD, no SATA external, no USB or microSD), then you need to follow the firmware reset guide by creating a custom bootable volume with the firmware and flasher.

r0br0ck and Triodefreak like this.
  3. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

r0br0ck and Triodefreak like this.
  4. r0br0ck

r0br0ck New Member

Thanks Jetguy!

I have found your post to flash bios and allready downloaded the files. First I will test it with no drives attached and than flash bios.
    I'll report if it works.

thx

5. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Again, test before flashing because flashing is a last resort. If you get flashing wrong = bricked board. No sense in taking risk if the real problem is something on the M.2 and it's file structure causing the issue.

r0br0ck likes this.
  6. r0br0ck

r0br0ck New Member

Ok, I checked the board with nothing attached but I still have a bootloop. Now I'm a bit scared about flashing bios because what if the Udoo reboots during flashing! Then I will have a bricked board.
    I was thinking about what I've could done wrong and remembered that I enabled Intel Curie Wake up in bios. Is it possible that this causes that issue?
    Thanks for all your help

7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Did you upload an Arduino sketch that sets pin 9 low?

8. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Honestly, I don't want to steer you wrong and your concerns are valid. Flashing would reset to defaults but does take time. If you cannot boot or it resets mid process, that's bad too. I would open a support ticket. Sorry, I wish I had a magic answer, but there is still some unknown here.

9. r0br0ck

r0br0ck New Member

@Laura- no I didn't.
    @Jetguy- Yeah I think I'll open a ticket. Thanks for you help anyway ;)

10. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Okay, I don't think the Arduino is power cycling the main CPU, but you could test to make sure, by holding the master reset button, or shorting the Arduino's reset pin to ground (to LOW) using a wire, and then seeing if the boot process can complete.[​IMG]

Triodefreak likes this.
  11. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

One thought, and this is totally off the cuff reaching, but isn't there the manual reset button for Curie? So if you hold that down, it holds Curie in reset? That might let you get into firmware settings?

12. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Much better answer than my guess. Thanks Laura.

13. r0br0ck

r0br0ck New Member

@Laura :-D I'm actually reading right now exactly the same topic. I will test tomorrow by shorting the Master reset button to ground. thank you.
    @Jetguy same same :)

Thank you so much.

14. r0br0ck

r0br0ck New Member

Okay I fixed it by pressing the Master Reset Button. After that I was able to access Bios to disable the Intel Curie Power Managemant.
    Now the udoo boots fine :D

Thank you for your help

15. Laura

Laura UDOOer

That's good to hear! Also, very odd the Arduino seemed to be behind the boot loop, when you've not uploaded a sketch that set pin 9 low.

Andrea Rovai likes this.