How to control servo, motor and sensors with nodejs?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by FadiBunni, Apr 8, 2017.

1. FadiBunni

FadiBunni New Member

Hallo guys i am really trying to make my own robot by using Udoo Neo and nodejs I am (trying to) follow this guide: http://node-ardx.org/ where I need to use Johnny-five lib which uses the StandardFirmata example. I try to run the standardFirmata, but it prints out bunch of errors, now I know the M4 is not exactly like a another arduino board, meaning some code(probably a lot) has to bee changed to make it understandable for M4. But do you guys know how I can make it work, or at least control some servo and motors trough nodejs - getting access to GPIO's and being able to send data? Another thing the Neo-baraometer package Is working wonderfully fine, but lacks the control of the accelerometer and magnometer - have an idea of how to add it.

The reason i am using nodejs is because I am building a much bigger project where nodejs servers are a core thing for the system, so being able to access sensors and controlling motors and servo, is a key thing for my system.

Thanks a lot!

Fadi

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Unfortunately the Firmata library is not supported on the Neo. You have to make your own communication protocol or get Firmata running somehow.

3. FadiBunni

FadiBunni New Member

wow, soo many opportunities. How do you do that, the communication protocol, is their really no other way to control f.eks a servo through nodejs, or anything else beside the neo-barometer package?

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

There is a node serial https://github.com/EmergingTechnologyAdvisors/node-serialport

You could use that to communicate with the serial port. In my how to's in my signature I have a very basic protocol setup. You could extend that with more.

Ideally the Firmata protocol should work but I looked into that once and it was way over my head.

5. FadiBunni

FadiBunni New Member

Yes I can now read from the serial port but how the heck do i write to it? so that i can move a servo?

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You have to write an Arduino sketch that is reading the serial port and converts the command to for example a servo control. For examples for serial communication between A9 and M4 see http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Serial_Libraries/index.html
    They are very basic so have to be expanded (writing your own protocol). So writing S1 90 could mean set servo 1 in position 90 degrees. O6 1 could mean set output 6 high.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1039 met Tapatalk