Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Guide

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by feilipu, Nov 9, 2013.

1. feilipu

feilipu New Member

I've written a guide to get Ubuntu 12.04 LTS up on the UDOO.
    Most of the info is available, but this just pulls it all into a step-by-step procedure.

UDOO Ubuntu 12.04 Guide

I have only documented up to the CLI.
    Adding a desktop is a well documented process.
    [edit] OK, I added some pointers on adding a desktop too.

Hope it helps.

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

That's a very cool and well written guide feilipu.

Thanks

3. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Great, featured on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/udooboard/post ... 5863256915

I'm curious about your final thoughts about the battery, UDOO features a battery connector and since the power consumption is not the high, I believe that in particular scenarios, with the proper battery pack, a battery powered UDOO could be possible. Don't take me wrong, I'm just opening room for dialogue! :D

4. killkrt

killkrt New Member

Great guide, really clear and complete! Thank you.

It would be great if you could create a report of working hardware and found issues, for example I'm interested in using UDOO for music and graphics stuff, so for me it's important to know if audio in/out are working and OpenGL ES is usable.

Anyway thank you so much, if only other guides were made like this!

5. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Lovely guide, well written with appropriate pictures to break it up and make it more readable too!

Couple of observations.

• * You mention 'Ti', you probably mean Freescale
    • * You mention 11.10 is past EOL (which it is), not UDOO Teams fault completely. They inherited that decision from Freescale. The Linux Kernel Freescale choose was 3.0.35 (the basis for several other things, including Real Time kernels elsewhere). Of course UDOO Team can move forward but it is understandable that they don't want to stray very far from what Freescale's reference & support until things settle down
    • * Battery wise. Given Udoo draws 2.4W to 5.5W - typically around 4W say (as per this table - thanks to Draco's testing) it is quite capable of running for several hours from a modest battery source.

Keep the guides coming!

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Fist off nice guide, i plat to try and setup my own 12.04 SD card today using it.

However, i have to agree im with Andcmp here on the battery thoughts.

I have done a lot of testing here and frankly both platforms (RasPi a bit more than UDOO) are VERY battery capable. In fact i have a RasPi timelapse setup that runs quite a long time with a single battery pack and could be run longer with a solar charger added into the mix.

For the UDOO i havent calculated the numbers in time duration full but since we can get the current down into the <300mA range a 9v LiPo battery in a of the shelf power bank would be more than sufficient to run the UDOO for a long time. I guess "long time" is subjective.. i mean a day or 2 (or 3)... if you thinking weeks or months then yea, thats not likely but having an UDOO run off a battery all day long is nothing, i have already done it.

7. feilipu

feilipu New Member

Hey, thanks for all the great comments.

I've fixed the mistakes in my Post, and added some more information about how to add a desktop UI.

With regard to my comments on battery power, I think the confusion relates to perspective or point of view.

My perspective is normally writing RTOS code to run on a machine that consumes less than 0.085 Watt (16mA @ 5V) in the worst case, and typically it can be operated on a duty cycle of better than 1:100 (10ms of activity per second before sleeping at 7uA). Changing an IOT sensor battery once every few years is the target.

From that perspective the UDOO power consumption of 4W is pretty exorbitant. But clearly, from the other perspective, you can't run a Ubuntu desktop on an AVR, whereas you can on an UDOO.
    ;-)

I'm going to get a eSATA SSD for my UDOO. In testing the Ubuntu Unity its very obvious that the UDOO is disk read constrained by the uSD.
    Once I get the right drive, I'll update the post to encompass the instructions for adding eSATA.

8. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

That's cool.

Battery wise, it's all relative. For those who want to dabble in robots then a run time off batteries of hours is quite satisfactory. With care a run time of 1-3 days is possible. With Solar & Battery technology it's possible to go infinite. Not in the same class as your 0.085W devices but the impression you gave in your article is that it is so power hungry you just can't run it off batteries at all.