Udoo x86 Ultra: no video output

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Richard, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Richard

Richard New Member

Hello!

I have recieved my UDOO x86 Ultra a few days ago and I can't get it to work no matter what. I connected a USB keyboard, HDMI and then power. The status LED lights up green almost immediately, but I my screen stays blank. I've tested all video outputs (HDMI, mDP1, mDP2) on two different monitors but there is never any picture.

I would expect to see UEFI/BIOS, but the monitors just go to sleep right away every time. I have tried turning off/on again, resetting, pressing ctrl-alt-del but I just can't get a picture.

What else can I try?

2. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Did you install an OS somewhere?

3. wsian

wsian New Member

Try hitting esc key right after boot up.

4. Richard

Richard New Member

No. I am unable to because of this issue.

I tried rapidly pressing and holding the Esc key for up to 30 seconds. Still nothing.

5. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Did your reward include a power supply that you're using? or are you using a power supply you sourced yourself?
    Do you have any other peripherals or devices connected, in addition to the keyboard, mouse and display?

Though I'm not sure what to suggest, other than please open a support ticket @ http://www.udoo.org/customer-care/

6. wsian

wsian New Member

There is a small power on / off button besides ir detector. Try to turn off and on.
    Maybe Is the power supply, as Laura suggested.

7. Richard

Richard New Member

I'm using my own power supply, I didn't recieve one with the UDOO. However I'm using a Li Shin LSE9901B1260 (12V 5A) which should be more than enough to power the UDOO x86. I guess I'll have to open a support ticket.

I did this multiple times already. LED turns orange (off?) when pressing once, green again when pressing again. Still no video output after that.

8. wsian

wsian New Member

Last suggestion is to check the connection to the display port (hdmi, mini dp) on board. The hdmi/usb port are quite tight and have to press a little harder to make sure it is fully inserted. I faced no display issue when I power on the board after re-plugged in all ports and later found out it was due to hdmi not fully inserted.

9. sixi

sixi New Member

I had an similar issue with a Dell monitor (2560x1440 resolution) -> black screen and a power-suspend message. Tryed a very old full hd display and it worked.... perhaps it helps you.

10. Geir Eivind Mork

Geir Eivind Mork New Member

I had similar issue, connected another screen and also tried to hit esc. might be the esc that did it or the other screen. it's up and running now. going to be headless so it didn't matter what it was connected to.

Triodefreak likes this.
  11. Richard

Richard New Member

That was indeed it.

Is this fixable with a firmware update? I don't have any of these old screen at home (I do at work fortunately) and I'd like to be able to go into BIOS now and then...

12. JL112

JL112 New Member

Thanks for sharing, i had the same problem here with ASUS screen (2560x1440). Every time i need to modify the BIOS i need to connect it to my TV screen which has only HD resolution.

13. Richard

Richard New Member

I can see the boot messages and menu/BIOS after a warm reboot so it seems like problem with the initial modesetting.

I am using a Dell U2717D connected to DP2 now, though it's the same on all outputs initially.

When I cold boot the first thing I see is the GRUB menu, then the kernel messages and login prompt.

After a reboot I can see the POST and enter BIOS settings.

14. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Here is an interesting discussion about this topic: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/328010-30-bios-screen-blank-screen
    Solutions mentioned:
    - Simple thing I did in my monitor settings that solved all my problems - "HDMI Auto Switch" option set to OFF.
    - Found Workaround for getting in BIOS: Manually wake up my monitor screen, then start PC -> BIOS available!

15. Ganesh

Ganesh New Member

Same problem with dell U2515h. Was able to power ON UDOO but couldn't see anything on the monitor.
    Any suggestion how to disable HDMI Auto Switch in Dell monitors ?

16. ttan

ttan New Member

Same issue with my monitors. The work-around was to use my TV's HDMI port (which works) to fully installed Win10. After that, plug Udoo x86 back onto my monitor and it will then recognize the HDMI signals, but only after Win10 boots up. Hope this can be resolved with newer firmware improvement.

17. Tom Barber

Tom Barber New Member

I'm also seeing similar to all of this, if I boot the HDMI monitors switch off, but hitting escape and getting the menu keeps them alive. I don't have a GUI at the end so it might be that in a graphical environment they get switched back on, but in console mode they stay asleep

18. Dennisf1

Dennisf1 New Member

Hi:
    My problem is similar but not.
    I have successfully installed and configured on the 128gb M2 drive WIn 10 on the Advanced Plus and have used it on multiple occasions for many hours. But on a frequent basis when first booting I see a blank screen. I have a Dell S2490W and I am using HDMI with 1920x1080 default.

I have tried changing mice and keyboard (USB wired and wireless) and at the moment I can't get the system to boot correctly at all (can't see anything to check). I have tried booting with the HDMI cable unplugged and hit esc and other such suggestions.
    Not sure what I should try now.
    Anything to offer?
    Regards,
    Dennis

19. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you try another hdmi cable? Another hdmi monitor (or TV)?

20. udooer

udooer New Member

Adding to base of knowledge...

Had the same no-display of boot/bios screens issue with x86 ultra and AOC (mini-displayport-to-)hdmi interface, display resolution of 2560x1440. Ubuntu installed (on the eMMC) would activate the monitor once booted.

Switching to ASUS monitor with display resolution of 1920x1080, (mini-display-port-to-)hdmi interface, bios screens display while booting.

(Now if I can just get windows 10 pro successfully installed, it is being problematic, haven't tried since swapping monitors, but about to.)