Can't install Windows 10, but Ubuntu working perfectly

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by chrisr, Apr 22, 2017.

1. chrisr

chrisr UDOOer

I have an Udoo Advanced Plus with a 512GB Transcend M.2 MTS600 SSD. Using a USB memory stick I successfully installed Ubuntu Studio 16.04 64bit on the 32GB eMMC successfully and this works perfectly. I have also installed the new BIOS 1.02 today successfully via Ubuntu. Ubuntu sees the 512GB SSD and this seems fine. I have downloaded a fresh copy of Windows 10 64bit iso image from the Microsoft web site, and used Etcher on a Mac to put this onto a USB stick. When I power up the Udoo and press escape, I get into the BIOS start up and can see the USB stick. It is the same one that I originally installed Ubuntu from, before erasing it and putting on Windows so I know the Udoo can install an OS from it. When I click to start from this USB stick to install Windows, the Udoo sits for a short while then promptly loads Ubuntu as if it was not there. In Ubuntu I can see the USB stick and looking at it in file manager all seems correct with the startup files etc. I thought not being able to load Windows may have been due to an issue with this USB stick, so have put the image via Etcher onto another USB stick (tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0) and also a Sandisk micro SD card. In all cases when I power on the Udoo and press escape I can see the drives, select them to start the boot/installation process, but every time Windows won't load, and Ubuntu comes up. I have checked the Windows 10 image on another PC and that is fine.

I have both the Udoo original and the Neo and am really happy with both, and very happy with the X86 using Ubuntu, but being unable to install Windows is really stumping me. Would really appreciate knowing if anyone else has had this problem and any suggestions for a solution. Thank you.

2. chrisr

chrisr UDOOer

Just to add to the above, I also changed the drive boot order in the BIOS so that the 512GB SSD was first (above the 32GB eMMC with Ubuntu) following advice on another post, but this makes no difference.

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

fabio978 and chrisr like this.
  4. chrisr

chrisr UDOOer

Thank you Kilrah. Your supposition was correct. I gave up on the Mac and used Rufus on another Windows 10 PC to create the USB image. This booted up correctly on the Udoo, but I am now having exactly the same problem you had described on your earlier post "Advanced Plus + PP Windows 10 install issue". Even though I have the SSD card as the primary drive, and have tried reformatting it, deleting it, creating new etc Windows setup won't go any further as per this screenshot. Checked with Gparted on Ubuntu and is shows as a correctly formatted and fully operational NTFS drive. How did you get past this? Thanks

IMG_3140.JPG

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

Every time the list of available boot devices changes the BIOS seems to reset the boot order to eMMC first. So connect your USB key first, go change boot order, save and exit, then boot off the key straight away. Leave the key in until install is finshed.

You'll see that until you remove it the board will correctly boot on Windows by default, but once you're done and remove the key you'll boot under ubuntu on next power up becasue the BIOS will have reset the order...

Don't know if it's intentional or a bug but I've seen that behavior on other PCs before.

6. chrisr

chrisr UDOOer

OK finally got there thanks to your help Kilrah. Took multiple attempts but eventually managed to get the SSD to stay at the top of the boot order and then install Windows via the USB stick.

Key leanings which I hope will help others.

1) If you are going to install Windows and Linux, then install Windows first while all the drives are empty. Otherwise the Linux installation seems to keep forcing it's way to the top and getting in the way
    2) Don't use Etcher on a Mac to try yo create a bootable Windows USB drive. Etcher is fine for Linux bootable drives but does not work for Windows. Rufus on a Windows machine creates a bootable USB fine from the Windows 10 ISO download.
    3) You can't install an OS using the SD card slot, even with the new 1.02 BIOS. Must use USB drive (I didn't try a DVD)
    4) If at first it does not work, try and try again. It gets there eventually.
    5) If you get really stuck post on the forum - I would never have solve my problem without the great help.

7. Ascanio

Ascanio New Member

chrisr, looks like I had luck, as W10 is the first thing I got.
    I also got it to install into the SSD by change ( I had to guess between Drive 0 and Drive 1... 50% chance! hahaha ).

Allow W10 to flicker, stutter and slow down for a while, as it does all its stuff in the background, also installing device drivers.

8. kainatkhan

kainatkhan New Member

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Rufus works perfectly and is maintained very well https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/blob/master/ChangeLog.txt
    It also can make USB disks with Freedos as a standard feature, so easy for the Udoo X86 Firmware updates....