Hardware for mounting the SSD???

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Glen Moffat, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Glen Moffat

Glen Moffat New Member

I recieved my UDOOx86 today but it did not have the machine screws/nut/spacer for mounting the SSD card on top of the wifi/BT module.

What are the sizes for this hardware?

2. Spudbar

Spudbar New Member

Same problem here. Also, were we supposed to receive a CPU fan as shown in the introduction videos?

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

Not supposed to get the Fan (it's considered "optional").. Honestly, while I wait for them to clear the preorders and make their fan available, I'm just going to find a 5V 2 wire and hook it in to the Arduino header pins for 5V+Gnd since they insisted on using some crazy molex connector on the board that NOBODY is going to have a fan for off the shelf...

As far as the hardware - I got 1 spacer (good for the Wifi) and 1 bolt, 2 nuts in my kit. I was able to find another threaded spacer in a jar of old PC hardware and used a dremel to cut it to length and then used 2 hard drive mounting screws to attach it to the board and then the M.2 sata to the cut spacer. I realize this probably doesn't help you guys much, but might be worth digging through some old hardware jars to see if you have anything you can use...

Spudbar likes this.
  4. bpr

bpr New Member

Do these spacers need to be conductive, or can/should they be nylon or otherwise non-conductive?

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Don't believe it matters either way, but I've always seen them as metal.

6. Glen Moffat

Glen Moffat New Member

I dont have a spare parts box with nuts/bolts/spacers.

Can someone please provide sizes etc for these: i.e. M2 or 3/8" machine screw and spacer or link to a supplier?
    Moderators?? please answer or have the doc's updated to show what fits? thanks.

I'm a s/w maker not a hardware maker so this is a bit out of my normal.

7. dlfamily

dlfamily New Member

I used an M4 3/8" screw with 3 nuts, 1 nut to hold screw in place to board, 1 nut under the SSD, and 1 nut on top. Here is a picture http://imgur.com/j5yNQH3

waltervl likes this.
  8. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

I'm pretty sure the actual fan connector is at 12VDC. As for the molex connector, this is actually pretty standard size, it is just that most fans are sold unpinned, but those that are meant for SOC systems, will have the connector - you could check out Ameridroid if you are in the US, thoguh their fans may only be 5VDC as they are meant for Odroids.

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

10. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yes, I realize that the Udoo sold one is 12 volts, HOWEVER, 1) it's going to be a pain buying that specific connector (I'll end up paying more for shipping than the it would be to order from Udoo). Instead it's easier to buy a 5V fan that I could drive off the +5V and GND pins on the Arduino pinout... Solved. (And I need to check with a volt meter, but if the VCC In on the Arduino pinouts is 12V, then I could just go off that with a normal 12V fan... I couldn't care less about having it throttle the fan...